MBP - SuperDrive out...SSD in

drb5

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Soon after asking for info on what MacBook to choose, with the info I got on here and elsewhere, I've ordered a refurb Pro(stock) from Apple.

I've decided I'll upgrade to 8GB or RAM(that's enough IMO), but I'm interested in sticking an SSD in there next to the HDD and putting the SuperDrive into an enclosure.

Now 500GB is enough for my films etc, but I'm not sure if 128 or 256GB would be the way to go for the SSD? I'm also not entirely getting my head round how to get the SSD to be the main boot up drive. I've done my searching, but it's usually explained in quite a tech way, if someone can point me to a site where it explains simply?

I'll probably use Crucial for the RAM, are their SSD's ok? And is there any good quality bay's apart from Optibay?

I'm sure there's more questions too..... :blush:

I've put SSDs in my two iMacs (one at home and one at the office). I went for 120GB on the basis that I had loads of external storage.

It has turned into a pain. It's actually quite easy to fill 120GB even if you're using external storage. I find I'm constantly looking for space and moving stuff around.

I'd go for the bigger one if I was doing it again. There was a big difference in price when I did mine though - much less so now.

Thanks Steve. Any thoughts on the make, or quality?

We had massive problems with OCZ Vertex IIs - out of a batch of ten... All ten died within a month (solid red+green lights, and no BIOS detection).

Since then, we moved to these and haven't had a single failure.

I was told earlier to get a 256GB, as it doesn't take long to fill 128GB and I suppose if it only means maybe £40 or so extra, I'd be as well to.

Will look at the links guys, thanks. :)

Am I right in saying I can power up the MBP before installing the SSD, put a large enough SDHC card in and put ML onto it, turn the MBP off, install the SSD into the main bay and original HDD into the bay where SuperDrive was, then power on the MBP for a fresh install of ML from the SDHC?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
drb5 said:
Azzin, your link for that Samsung SSD...I don't do a lot of heavy work, so would I need that write speed or would this one suffice...?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LI7C9Y/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

I can claim £15 back ATM from Samsung, making it a fair bit cheaper right now. Would write speed effect booting of the MBP itself or Apps at all?

Personally, for the sake of a few £s, I would always go for the faster disk, because down the line, you'll always be wondering how much faster it could have been.

Your call obviously, but once it's in and running you'll appreciate it, I don't think there's a case for saving a few £s and reducing performance.

You pays your money, you takes your choice...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Very true, but I never intended on going for a 256GB. You can always argue going for more...for that little bit more, I can get X, but then I'm as we'll getting XX...and so on. :D

In the end, I went for the lesser priced one, as I can always upgrade later on anyway. :)

So that's ordered, 2x4GB from Crucial and a 2nd caddy and SuperDrive enclosure from Bipra. Then it's just to do the work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom