1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB Quart QLE875

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GlenW, Feb 18, 2004.

1. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking for a cheaper sub to add to my system and I found this sub on a german website.

Anyone had any experience with this sub?

If not what could people recommend in the Yamaha line of subs as there is a few of them availkable on the german websites.

Thanks

Glen

2. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the only information I can find from the website ( a translation using software).

active Design-Subwoofer - Downfire-Baßreflex - 100 W Sinuns - glass plate on the upper side - Übertragungsbereich: 25 - 250 Hz - adjustable transition frequency - weight: 20,9 kg, spikes integrated, RCA-Eingang - built-in frequency points

Can anyone comment on the specs or what I should be asking about for a subwoofer.

Thanks

Glen

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Unfortunately, as with most subwoofer marketing, the above specifications tell you absolutely nothing apart as I assume from the picture that you can see that it's a downward firing active subwoofer with a glass plate on top.

The performance of a subwoofer depends on it's design coupled with the power and quality of amplifier and driver. It would be nice to think that a quoted frequency range would mean something but unfortunately it doesn't as there are many ways of measuring the response and no common standard.

Unfortunately, in common with most of the forum members, I have never heard of this particular subwoofer.

I have looked at a German website and it would seem to be costing around £100. In my opinion decent subwoofers are expensive to manufacture if you use quality components and whilst subs at this price level might add a bit of "local colour" to explosions in a Hollywood blockbuster it will be mainly distortion and will likely sound terrible with music.

4. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information Ian.

If I am looking for an entry level subwoofer any suggestions on what brands or models I should be looking at?

Thanks

Glen

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If you are looking at around that price I would suggest second hand only. The occasional Paradigm does come up for sale and they are better than most of the other budget stuff out there