Maybe a daft question but .... cleaning!?

Spudhead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a Macbook Pro (Late 2011) and after having it for a couple of weeks my screen has got quite dirty, finger marks and smudges etc. Then last night my dog decided iTunes must of looked 'yummy' on my screen and decided to give it a lick.

The manual says to give it a wipe with just the micro fibre cloth provided but it doesn't seem to get some of the tougher smudges off without applying abit of pressure. I don't want to press to hard, frightened I may harm something with it being so thin.

Just wondering what product everyone uses to clean their screens with? I have some Philips LCD screen cleaner that I used to use on my pc. Is it safe to spray this on the screen then give it a wipe with a micro fibre like regular screens? I just seem to recall the manual saying don't get liquid directly on the screen.

Im probably way over thinking this and paranoid! However since getting it I treat it like my baby! haha

Im not sure what the Mac Book Pro screen is made of but i had the same problem on my IMac screen- friends children stuck their mucky little fingers all over my screen.
I used some of this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ISOPROPANOL-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-9-250ml/dp/B003D8QFQO
- although I got mine from work. dilute it with some water and gently wiped the screen then dried it off with a microfibre cloth. Screen came up perfect, but make sure you know what your screen is made of first. i have no idea what IPA will do to plastic so be careful and check first.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks buddy, to be honest I'm not to sure what its made of. Hence why I was so worried about using my lcd screen cleaner on it. Would hate to ruin the screen.

Found some stuff online called iklear? Which quite a few people seem too be raving on about. Link to the actual stuff here:

http://www.screenclean.co.uk/iklear_apple_polish.php

I use iKlear on everything now! It says on the bottle "For best results use the grey DMT cloth on Glossy Screens".

I use iKlear on everything now! It says on the bottle "For best results use the grey DMT cloth on Glossy Screens".

Looks like iklear may be the product Im looking for then. Couple of questions though if you wouldn't mind.

Which exact product do you guys use, as there seems to be a few on their website?

Also whats a DMT cloth?

And finally, its perfectly fine to use on the Macbook Pro screen? Do you spray the liquid directly on the screen then wipe with the cloth or spray on the cloth then wipe?

Spudhead said:
Looks like iklear may be the product Im looking for then. Couple of questions though if you wouldn't mind.

Which exact product do you guys use, as there seems to be a few on their website?

Also whats a DMT cloth?

And finally, its perfectly fine to use on the Macbook Pro screen? Do you spray the liquid directly on the screen then wipe with the cloth or spray on the cloth then wipe?

I use the "iKlear cleaner/polisher for Apple" and you spray it onto the microfibre cloth and then wipe.
I use it on my MacBook Pro, my wife's MacBook Air and my iPad's screens.
I've no idea about DMT.

You get a couple of different cloths with the bottle, one being the grey one.

I bought mine last year when it was on offer at PC World, use it on an iPad 1 & 2, an iPhone 4 my 24" Dell screen and a couple of LCD TV's.

I use the "iKlear cleaner/polisher for Apple" and you spray it onto the microfibre cloth and then wipe.
I use it on my MacBook Pro, my wife's MacBook Air and my iPad's screens.
I've no idea about DMT.

You get a couple of different cloths with the bottle, one being the grey one.

I bought mine last year when it was on offer at PC World, use it on an iPad 1 & 2, an iPhone 4 my 24" Dell screen and a couple of LCD TV's.

Thanks for the replies guys, where is the cheapest place to buy the iklear from? Will try and pick some up on monday.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom