1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

may need a new projector

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Guy_SR, May 30, 2005.

1. Guy_SR

Guy_SR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My CRT projector failed this weekend and I suspect a major High voltage power supply issue. I may not fix it and would like to know what the forum recommends as new high perf projector working well with the PSM in my AV192.

2. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Ouch, going from CRT to digital will be a toughie, user wise a boon, but quality wise... Be prepared to dosh out loads (which will still be obsolete 2 years down the line) if you want to get closer (but still not reach the blacks) to CRT.

I'd seriously would try to get hold of a new power supply. Or buy a cheapo digital in the sub 2000£ category and live with greyish blacks and then change projector every now and then as technology moves own...

3. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guy,

the CRT are still unbeatable. According my little knowledge the technology that is the closer to the CRT is the D-ILA used by the JVC pj. The top of the range is the JVC DLA HD2K(full 1080i resolution), as far I know you can buy it with or without the video processor (which basically is a Faroudja processor).

I understand from your mail that you only have the PSM fitted into your AV192R, that means that your pj were doing the scaling starting from the signal delivered by the PSM. If I'm right your problem is a little bit more complicated and independently from the pj you are going to chose you should verify wether or not the new pj lets you to enter it with a progressive signal coming from the PSM and just scale it to the right resolution... the alternative is just getting rid of your PSM because the progressive board installed into the new pj does a better job than the PSM... Here in the forum there are a lot of knowledgeable people who can help you much more better than me (eg Gordon, Joe Fernand, David or Liam in the video section).

By the way... I'll also think to repear the power supply... unless you have to change all the CRT lamps at once: for a Barco Cine 9 it may be expensive :D

Good luck,

Lenny

4. Guy_SR

Guy_SR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my CRT is only a 7". but I fear I'll get worse with a new technology. I'll try to see if I can repair it. I do not understand why I cannot use the PSM with a DMD /LCD type. Can someone explain?
    Thanks to all

5. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lenny:

A few corrections:

1. JVC HD2K does 1080p

2. Processor is a Faroudja...it is being replaced with an Aligoth Realta based scaler.

3. Most, if not all, digital projectors will accept a progressive signal.

4. It is not a given that it will better to strip out the PSM192...this needs to be tested.

5. The other 1080p DILA/LCoS projector to look at is the Sony Qualia 004.

Joel

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

You should also take a look through the relevant forum here,and get some advice from there also.....there are a lot of knowledgeable guys there,plus a few pretty impartial installers who may be able to give advice re your projector.

Have a look in the DLP forum,and for CRTs,Roland@B4 may be very helpful.