May 2019 Winner - Symmetry

Sebastalona

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Took this from the old Forth Road Bridge on a cycle with my daughter last week.

Messed about with some processing via Snapseed on my phone.

I’m not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it looked cool, and as a long time lurker of this sub-forum, thought I would submit it as it kind of fits the theme.

Cheers

Queensferry Crossing.jpg

Last edited:
very cool :)

Good shot. Like the way you have the sun behind the pillar, and the shadow / glow on the water.

Good shot. Like the way you have the sun behind the pillar, and the shadow / glow on the water.

Thanks. It was pure chance really, there was a little viewing point on the north side of the briddge where we stopped, and the sun just happened to be directly behind the North tower of the Queensferry Crossing. It looked really cool so I snapped it.

I think I’m going to have to withdraw this entry.

I only looked at the May competition launch thread when posting. Having looked at the full rules, I believe my photo isn’t the correct size, and file size too big:

A9B9015E-A654-4099-9EF4-FCE412481399.jpeg

Sorry for any inconvenience @Zone

I need to read the rules, didn’t know about that!

I need to read the rules, didn’t know about that!

I imagine there is software to use to resize the image and reduce the file size, but don’t know what!

@Zone I think I have managed to resize and reduce file size. I have edited first post with new image.

Does the photo size (and file size) still apply these days. I know the rule was about when most people uploaded to the AVForums site direct, and also suspect most users were on slower (maybe even dial-up) connections. With a lot of users posting on Flickr these days, and then linking how does that effect the size rule.

I just use the medium file size from Flickr when I upload from there to here. I think that was back in the day when people didn't host their shots elsewhere and having massive files uploaded straight to here caused some people not being able to view them, as the opening took too long. But yeah, like above, I think that's kind of a blast from the past. If you Flickr host your photos, not sure that's a problem anymore. I don't think it ever was a disqualifying "mistake" anyway.

P.s. I don't ever remember uploading a shot straight here, I've always done it via Flickr. And I've been in the competition now more years than I care to remember ;)

I see the rules were last updated in September 2010 so the photo/file size part may no longer be relevant........but they are still there.

I guess some clarification would be helpful going forward.

Though those of us with slower connections appreciate you resizing :thumbsup:
I'm not aware of anyone being disqualified for oversized entries?
If you load to Flickr and link then it isn't a problem.

It is an irritation in the sharing threads when people upload several images at full camera resolution.
The forum displays at around 800 pixels wide but you still have to download the whole file first. If you click on it it blows up to 100% which on my 1080p screen means you see a corner of the full size image.
I've fallen foul of this myself in the Bad Parking thread in General Chat, if you upload from Safari on iPhone it cheerfully uploads at full camera resolution without saying anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom