maxtor 4R160LO possible problem

M

MAR

Have just installed this drive correctly[info from hummer etc],but the pace v2 box will not power up and I can hear clicking coming from the drive,left for 30mins no change.Tried the old drive, no problems.Fault with the new hard drive or me.Any ideas please.

If you've installed it correctly, the drive must be faulty.

If the drives just "clicks" then the heads are stuck on the HDD, and it needs to be replaced.

thanks for the advice,I will return the drive to the shop[although it took them ages to order it,and probally the same to replace it],but at least I now know.cheers.

Why didn't you buy it online ? There's loads of places that sell drives.... Ebuyer, Dabs, MISCO, etc.

got another new drive,same problem.every few minutes the power light flashes but remains red.I know it's not normal to have 2 faulty drives,so any more ideas please,the software is correct and again putting old drive in no probs.Also I am installing it straight from the box as these are quickview and already configued.Please any advice as this is now driving me crazy.

What jumper settings have you set on the drive? Are the connectors seated properly when you've connected the drive up?

Have you tried powering the drives up in a PC to ensure they powerup and can be seen properly by the BIOS?

When you switch on, can you get into the installer's menu and houskeep?

I have a 4R120L0 in a v1 Sky+ and it works very well, runs very cool, & is silent, no fan needed. I'm a bit surprised at you having problems, it may well be something quite simple I hope.

Furthermore I believe your 4R160L0 is the drive used in the Sky 160, and I have seen a post from another user here using your drive, so I think this info should also be reassuring.

i've just recently had 3 faulty Maxtor drives in a row!

Why don't you test it in your PC ?

no need to test it in your pc. is it the quick view 1???, if it is you should be able to put it straight in your sky box!!! if youve had 3 faulty ones you should check to see if it works in a different box.
i have the same drive in my v.2 pace sky box and every now and then i can hear a squeek!! from the box any ideas

Is there a mouse caught inside the box?

Is the squeak shortly after turning on or off? A recent software upgrade powers the drive up and down with power on or off, unless recording in standby when it switches on. My 4R120L0 emits a quick squeak on power up (actually a tiny whine when you listen closely, and a click when it has powered down and presumably stops).

I was worried about this initially but am reassured these odd noises are normal, and to be fair we have had no problems with the drive at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom