Maxtor 320gig hard drive

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Biscuit761, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Just saw the PC World advert, Maxtor external 320g hard disk for £69.99 - I need more space, has anyone any experiance of these ?

Bill

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Ive got a 250Gb Maxtor External HDD ( for the last 3 years) excellent device:thumbsup:

Recently got a 300Gb Maxtor " One Touch II " one for similar price 2 months ago. this one requires drivers:devil: and its "Retrospect" HD backup software has resolutely refused to work :( ( thankfully I can live without that)

It looks the business and seems reasonably fast but the "Jury is still out" on long term likeability. It has ( if you like) Security software to prevent just anyone from accessing its contents : I found it tedious after a while and disabled it

The Price is certainly good though

I do have recent experience of 2 X Maxtor HDDs used in external cases . They were a 300 Gb and 120Gb respectively. They were bare drives used as external storage devices which blew up within 2 week of each other in Oct/ Nov ...Bad luck.??. I'm hoping so

The dedicated external ones seem better "ventilated" ( I'm blaming my recent misfortune on poor ventilation of the cases :confused: )

In short, while it most definitely seems a good buy Ive become just a bit less totally comfortable with one specific Storage archiving device and would still make 1 or 2 DVD copies of any thing of value on a HDD ( internal or external) regardless of make

3. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Have ordered one, collect it tommorow.

Bill

4. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just got a 400GB hardrive for £99 by "Free..." sometihng or other. I'm told they are very good make and the drive is highly regarded by other people who have bought it (including free p+p) from Amazon.

I've been using RAW formats a lot lately and so I am desperate to start using mine.

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Robert - probably a Freecom you have - i have its smaller brother & it is excellent - at the end of the day these drives are just a hard drive in a box and no rocket science is required (usually) - USB2 is quick enough for me (copying from laptop btw) for RAW images / mp3's etc
    HTH - Paul ;)

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I agree,
    But with the benefit of currently owning a few ( 2 Maxtors, 1 Toshiba) Ext drives in addition to 2 bare drives put in a external cases ( Icy box/ Eye -T mobile storage system) ,

I think the intrinsic quality of HDD used, electronics converting IDE to USB, shock protection and the Ventilation make a difference in subjective comparison.

Im sure somebody may have compared them objectively in tests for speed but durability is a long term thing and may be difficult to assess.

My examples of "blown ones" are perhaps bad luck as Ive has an Ext Maxtor for 3 years now with no problem and the internal ones in the PC are by no means perfect but are largely dependable. They do ( used to??) have a reputation for getting hot ( and break) though and used to have a 3-5 year warrantee. Maxtor is now owned by Seagate

Suffice to say that although the EXT drives look rugged, I would still suggest they are generally not expecting to be treated like outdoor kit

7. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    All bought and paid for and plugged in (need a bigger gang plug, have had to unplug the speakers, hardly ever use them so not really a problem.

Running at the moment, all seems OK bt only showing 298gig available, think a few g's are saved for backup etc, still can not complain at the price though.

Bill

8. Andy74

Andy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Guys if this question is in the wrong forum,but using the Search function i came across this thread.Hear goes,I've just purchased a Toshiba 320GB External Hard drive and have put all my songs from my pc onto the hard drive and have been using this for some days now.Today i put on my pc then the hard drive but it doesn't connect?I can hear a sort of "doorbell" noise?? as if its connected but the usual screen for asking for my password does not appear,then the "doorbell" noise goes again as if its disconnecting?This continues all the time.Instructions are 4 pages with no Toshiba troubleshooting guide or Helpline.I check my devices on the computer and it never appears?Again sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Does it light up? ( and can you hear/ feel it spin?)
    The hard drive may be a dodgy one.. hope your songs are also on DVDs:rolleyes:

I have a 250Gb Toshiba which remained disused for 3-4 week and was cold in the car boot.

It behaved just as you describe until I "warmed it up" ( put in a warmer environment for a while) and has been OK ever since. Needless to say I treat them with a little more respect

Sometimes it helps to put them in after windows has booted up and loaded all its drivers/ background programs

They are generally quite robust but some pass the keen eye of the QC man on a Friday afternoon

10. chris1210

chris1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  11. M-C-P-M

M-C-P-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi Bill, I have had one of these for 3 weeks now and it's not bad, the onlly fault i would say is it's a bit on the hummy side. Because i use it with my laptop in my bedroom, in the dead of night you can hear it very clearly humming away in the corner.

12. Andy74

Andy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply SENU,Yes it does light up and i hear it making a noise and i boot it up once my pc is up and running.I can't find any info on what the problem is and i'm worried i've lost all my music.

13. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I'd start off phoning Toshiba HDD technical support, and see if they cover that device.

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/cin.asp?page=CIN&nav=RSC_TSP&frame=content

ALWAYS BACK UP CRITICAL FILES IN AT LEAST 2 PLACES!!!!!!!!

preferably 3!

including different media types!

and replace these media every few years!

Hard disks have roughly a 5% change of failure per year. When they go, they often go all of a sudden, or grind their way to destruction in a matter of minutes or hours, before you can recover anything.

I archive company files on a bank of 160Gb Seagate Barracuda's in Icyboxes. Not had a bad one yet (I use over 20 in rotation). At home we use a dedicated backup PC, together with regular CD backups of images etc.

14. Andy74

Andy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Yandros,I'll try what Senu said and try to "warm" it up,failing that I'll phone them,Thanks again.