Maximum Number of IR Receivers on HTPC?

russ9898

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to have one centralised HTPC shared between two/possibly three TV's. I'm not bothered about watching different shows/films on different TV's and quite happy for the TV's to just mirror the HTPC output via a HDMI splitter.

What I do want however is for each TV to have its own IR sensor and remote allowing me to control the HTPC (which will be out of sight in a store cupboard) at each TV. Is there anything restricting me plugging in 3x USB IR receivers or am I likely to need something a little more complex to allow the job to be done?

Thanks,

Russ

I can't see that it would be any different to having more than one keyboard. It should be fine, but I have never tried it.

Would Wi-Fi control not be more sensible/easier to manage for this use? What software are you planning to run on the HTPC? as most of the big names allows wifi control via a mobile app or web browser, I know this is not sometimes as easy as a handheld remote, but will be an easier to control solution. The multiple IR receivers plugged into a USB hub will work, but would not allow you to turn the pc on from the remote, however a wifi based solution could utilise WOL (wake on lan) in order to allow this.

Ben

Wi-Fi control is something I never even considered. I would be using MediaPortal along with TV Series/Moving pictures addons. Is wifi control generally easy to configure?

wifi control is easy-ish to set up, media portal is one of the more fiddly front ends to enable wifi control if honest, but it also had an awful lot of control and options, so its swings and roundabouts, but in my opinion, if you were able to setup and configure media portal with codecs etc, then setting up the wifi control is not too much of a fuss.

I used MP Extended to set mine up, and I'm certain I used a guide on here to do it!

oh yes here it is in the sticky http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-computers/1602323-mediaportal-setup-guide.html

here is a copy and paste of the section thats relevant:

12.15) iPhone Remote Control (CouchPotato)

CouchPotato is an excellent iPhone App available form the Apple Store. It allows you to control MediaPortal using your iPhone (including waking up the HTPC from sleep). Once you have installed the App on your iPhone you need to also install a Plugin on your MediaPortal client (on each of them if you have more than one). The Wifi Remote Plugin can be downloaded and installed using the MPEI and is configured as follows:
Run the MediaPortal Configuration GUI and highlight the Wifi Remote Plugin and click "Config".
Click on the "Download and Install Bonjour" button.
Follow the installation prompts, and when requested, remove the ticks from the option to put the printer shortcut on your desktop and auto update apple products.
When the installation is complete, click on the "X" at the top right of the Wifi Remote Plugin window to close the plugin configuration GUI and then click "OK" to exit the MediaPortal Configuration GUI.
Now run MediaPortal and start the CouchPotato App. You client should be automatically detected. Select it and you should have control of MediaPortal.
12.16) Android Remote Control

Since I do not own an Android device, I can not help a great deal with the installation and setup of the Android Remote Control app, however, details can be found here: http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/th...-final.106911/

In order for the Android Remote App to "talk" to MediaPortal, two MediaPortal plugins must be installed:
MPExtended - (see Section 12.19.1 for instruction regarding MPExtended plugin installation).
WiFi Remote - (see Section 12.15 for instructions regarding WiFi Remote plugin installation).

Hope this helps!

Ben

Wifi control via a smart phone or tablet works great for my XBMC set ups.
I think there is a length limit on USB cabling so that might limit you.
You can get IR extenders with multiple inputs, I use a Keene system which is quite flexible and probably easier to set up than multiple USB receivers. You can even use cat5 cabling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom