Maximum Memory Minimum Quality!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Trev S-J, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Trev S-J

Trev S-J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AlthoughI have contributed to other forums on this site before,I have little experience with Mp3 players ,so be gentle!!.
    My dilemma is that I would like to transfer a complete language course (10 cd`s all approx . 60mins duration)onto a small mp3 player,purely for con venience,whilst travelling or similar.Could anybody guide me in the right direction with regards to :-how much memory I will need and which format would be best,(considering that hi-fi quality is not really a big issue with regards to what is being recorded).
    Obviously I am not expecting to pay an extortionate amount for this type of recording( around £50)I would be grateful if somebody could help me in the quest.
    Trev S-J

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the following sizes are approximates, used only to illustrate the example.

Assuming standard-ish CD sizes of, say, 600Mb, the 10 Cds would have a total size of around 6Gb of data if it was to be saved at lossless rates.

Normal mp3 files recorded at around 128Kbps would give files that are around one-tenth the size of lossless, thus you'd need a player of around 600Mb storage.

However, as the medium is vocal, you would get away with quality much lower than this, say 32Kbps, so you'd only need storage of around 150Mb. As a result, just about any flash mp3 players on the market would do the storage job nicely.

Unless anyone else has other ideas...

3. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mick's cat is right. a 256/512mb player would suit, and you can pick those up for very little money.

4. Trev S-J

Trev S-J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice, have purchased a 512mb model for £27 off web which will do very nicely.
    Trev S-J