maximum dvi to hdmi cable....

mushtak2917

Standard Member
gonna be buying a samsung led tv (55") in the winter and want to get all the wiring done in the walls at the building stage. my question.... i want to install a 15m dvi to hdmi cable (full 1080p) going from my computer (not yet bought either) to the TV. i am absolutely confused as to which make to trust?.... there are like 3 million different brands out there ranging from about £13 on ebay to £500! on other websites!.... i just want something that will work well without loss of quality along this length at a cheap price. pls advise, i usually buy from lektropacks.co.uk and have usually bought their own brands in the past and cant really complain or fault them(max 5m used in the past). pls advise. Also should i be buying dvi-i or dvi-d (single or dual link) as i dont know what graphics card i will have in the computer driving the samsung tv.i have found someone asking a similar question on this forum but it was asked about 2 years ago and i'm sure cable technology has moved on since then. pls advise. thank u in advance.

Member 373730

Novice Member
Hi,

HDMI is only single link and is DVI-D , However DVI-I still carries the digital signal so will work fine.

You cannot plug a DVI-I cable in to a DVI-D slot on your card.

As for the cable, you can either use a 15m HDMI cable with an adapter, or a DVI to HDMI cable.

Here are a few links for you to take a look at.

Premium Gold 15m DVI to HDMI

15m HDMI cable
DVI to HDMI adapter

You will not loose any quality as the signal is digital. It is worth checking the specification of the cables as you could have problems at this length.

Best Regards

Chris

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello mushtak2917

You have to understand that the cable is only a pipeline.

Your source squirts out a signal at a (supposedly) pre determined voltage (+ or - a bit of tolerance) and the Sync (your Display) has to be able to receive that signal and decode it.

If your Source is only just putting out the correct voltages and your 15m cable causes signal drop (which it will) as the signal travels over the cable your Sync can end up failing to lock on to the incoming signal.

Source devices fitted with HDMI and especially DVI Output sockets were not designed to drive long output cables.

A well constructed/designed cable assembly using a heaver gauge of cable than you would normally use at 1m or 2m lengths is required if you want to install a non amplified copper cable.

We supply a lot of our BetterCables Silver Serpent cables to installers who don't want to have to revisit a cable that fails once customers start sending 1080p signals over a long interconnect; The Media Factory

I'd install an HDMI>HDMI cable and use a DVI>HDMI dongle for now with your PC - keep in mind the DVI out on your PC will be video only so no audio over the HDMI cable to the Display unless you use a DVI+Audio>HDMI converter at the PC or swap the DVI card for an HDMI card in the PC.

I'd also install three x CAT6 cables into your wall as a backup in case of future system updates or cable damage.

Joe

MarkTaylor

...keep in mind the DVI out on your PC will be video only so no audio over the HDMI cable to the Display unless you use a DVI+Audio>HDMI converter at the PC or swap the DVI card for an HDMI card in the PC.

Only exception to that would be the ATI graphics cards which have a modified version of the DVI pin-out and they do send video and audio over DVI. Only ATI have this capability as far as I am aware and it is not on all cards.

You need to use the supplied DVI-HDMI adapter at the PC end, not a 3rd party one.

mushtak2917

Standard Member
ok so if i buy a top of the range graphics card say the Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 which has a hdmi output i wont need any dongles etc and hopefully it'll work just fine :)
so installing just the hdmi>hdmi cable should be fine?

also joe that link for the media factory does not work :(

MarkTaylor

ok so if i buy a top of the range graphics card say the Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 which has a hdmi output i wont need any dongles etc and hopefully it'll work just fine :)
so installing just the hdmi>hdmi cable should be fine?(

Nvidia handle sound over HDMI differently to ATI.

Where ATI put the audio chipset on the graphics card, NVidia only offer an internal connection to an S/PDIF output from whatever audio source you have available in the PC. This works and will allow your graphics card to send video and audio out over HDMI, but it does limit you to whatever your sound source can send over S/PDIF.

Also, obviously, if you do not have an internal connection for S/PDIF then you will have no audio over HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom