Quantcast

Maximum Conviction Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
I'd heard really bad things about this film – and that wasn't exactly hard to believe considering the standard output these days from ageing b-list action-star Steven Seagal. His best work of late has been on TV; not his reality show Lawman (useful only to show a larger audience the good he'd been doing outside of his movies) but more his procedural True Justice, which is pushing for a third season right now. Although not particularly good, it's at least consistent viewing from a man who has been anything but.

Funny thing is, Maximum Conviction is actually alright. I know that doesn't sound like great praise, but it is probably a big relief for fans considering some of the straight-to-video dross that Seagal's done over the last decade. It’s been some 12 years since he last headlined a theatrically-released film (although his movies still make it to the cinemas in Asia, and probably make a...

Read the full review...

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
Thanks for this review Cas :smashin:

based on what you have written, I am more than happy to go out and get this blu ray, the film sounds enjoyable to me.

Even a 'bloated" Segal won't put me off, especially if there are loads of cool weapons being fired :cool:

I have enjoyed most of Austin's DTV films and this sounds like its up to the standard of those and to have Segal on board two is cool to have the two Steve's together in one movie.

We could even get a sequel by the sounds of it too ;)

If it was not region A locked I would have ordered it now, as it is, I have to wait till March ... downer !

Oh well, many thanks for the review as always a great review, with fair and accurate opinon and scoring I am sure :thumbsup:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Thanks for this review Cas :smashin:

based on what you have written, I am more than happy to go out and get this blu ray, the film sounds enjoyable to me.

Even a 'bloated" Segal won't put me off, especially if there are loads of cool weapons being fired :cool:

I have enjoyed most of Austin's DTV films and this sounds like its up to the standard of those and to have Segal on board two is cool to have the two Steve's together in one movie.

We could even get a sequel by the sounds of it too ;)

If it was not region A locked I would have ordered it now, as it is, I have to wait till March ... downer !

Oh well, many thanks for the review as always a great review, with fair and accurate opinon and scoring I am sure :thumbsup:
Thanks Glenn :thumbsup:

It appears like you're one of the last fans out there who will still watch these movies. Hopefully you won't be too disappointed.

Watching it again I have to say Austin's easily got the best lines. Defo makes it more fun!

Seagal's teaming up with his MMA protege Anderson Silva, together with Danny Trejo and Ving Rhames for his next movie. Here's hoping he's finally on the incredibly-small-baby-step way up.

Cheers, Cas

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
Hoooray ... 'finally' released in the UK and copy arrived :clap:

Will be watching this weekend and looking forward to this :smashin:

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
Hi Cas,

Finally seen it now :)

Your review and scoring was spot on !

Yeah, its certainly not a great film, but it was enjoyable enough and miles away from some of the dross that Seagal in particular has put out on dtd the last few years.

It could have been much much better too ... with some decent money and story it could have been epic with Austin and Seagal in the same film but as it was it was just enjoyable but far from a classic.

The picture quality was the biggest surprise - it was superb !

Loved the green lasers on the guns, that suited HD really well.

Seagal was still not putting himself out much though was he and his fight scenes were still a little hard to follow / used some weird camera angles to speed it up or muffle it somehow.

Austin is cool and I am a big fan of his, given the right material. I noticed Seagal produced this film and there is an ending which suggests there may be a sequel ... which I would like to see - so guess that is endorsement alone :)

The UK edition has no extras at all though ???
Why is that - they lock the USA version, make the UK wait 2 months and then don't bother with the extras - what effort is involved in porting the extras onto the UK disc ???
So that was annoying.

Oh - had to laugh at Seagal wearing dark shades throughout the film, even at night and in a darkly lit prison ... what is he like :)

Thanks again for the review Cas, do appreciate you posting up these more obscure films, which might otherwise slip by un-noticed :smashin:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Thanks Glenn,

Well when it comes to obscure action films featuring ageing 80s action icons, I'm there!

It certainly looks like they left things open for a sequel - whether or not we need one is another question, but both stars could do worse (although they should do better!)

I just wish Seagal would agree to 'Expendables' his career back into the cinemas one last time (he could have made for a good villain, a la Machete). It really is his only hope, but unfortunately now he's said no three times, I think it's probably game over.

Cheers, Cas