Maximum canvas print size from resolution?

stevem999

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, we have a number of photos taken on a trip to New Zealand that we'd quite like to have printed off on canvas.

However the resolution they were taken at isn't that high. They are 2272 x 1704 pixels at 180dpi. I'd like to get the print as large as possible but am wary of degradation of the image if we go too large. It won't be viewed close up, perhaps from 3+ feet away generally, but would be grateful on how large people think we could go? Many thanks.

I'd worry more about the quality of the image rather than the size. Is it sharp viewed at full size, is there a lot of grain and noise from using higher ISO etc.

The first pro DSLR's were only 3MP and the results were printed bill board size, but they were nice big fat high quality pixels.

IMHO great images are as much about composition, as technical excellence. Don't over-enlarge if it doesn't fit the room! Your images have more pixels than a HD tv screen. Canvas fuzzies the image anyway. Does that help?

Thanks folks, some excellent tips there.

Some of the images could be a little noisy because they were taken as it was starting to go dusk so will watch out for that.

Those printing websites look good too, especially the one that recommends a largest image for the quality/size of uploaded photo.

May look at getting a poster print made at a much lower cost to see how it enlarges, and then commit to the canvas if it works, bearing in mind of course the loss of sharpness from printing on canvas.

For normal print sizes/viewing distances you should be able to get away with 180 ppi. With larger prints that will be viewed from further away you could conceivably go down to 100 ppi and still get a print that looks good at a distance. this is the usual sizes that I've ever known when I started to used CanvasTouch.com as my canvas print reference.

Hi Steve!

Those figures you have give you a 3.8meg file, is this image the original from the camera? As the ratio seems off? It's working out at 1.33?

One point consider is you don't have a 2272 x 1704 pixels at 180dpi file

You have a 12.62" x 9.47" @180 DPI or double , a 25.24" x 18.94" @ 90 DPI

Equally the other way, half the size with double the DPI

A popular canvas size of 20" x 16" @200DPI. Your pixal size neds to be 4000x3200
Although from the dimension you provide your image, would be 21.3" x 16" so only a little cropping.

Why not post the image here, we can have a look then :)

Doug

Thanks Brandon and Mucca for the latest advice. Happy New year to you too.

Mucca - the info on size was just taken from clicking on properties for the picture in Windows. Tried to attach the photo but the size limit is only 300k for jpegs.

Just hosted the image and it should have uploaded in a non-compressed state so you can see it.

Hope that works, think you can click on it too for more image details

May look at getting a poster print made at a much lower cost to see how it enlarges, and then commit to the canvas if it works, bearing in mind of course the loss of sharpness from printing on canvas.

I haven't done much canvas printing although from what I've done I find the quality isn't quite as important for a poster print because the texture of the canvas print will soften the image.

John

Thanks Brandon and Mucca for the latest advice. Happy New year to you too.

Mucca - the info on size was just taken from clicking on properties for the picture in Windows. Tried to attach the photo but the size limit is only 300k for jpegs.

Just hosted the image and it should have uploaded in a non-compressed state so you can see it.

===

Hope that works, think you can click on it too for more image details

The image does have a fare amount of noice and a strange blue hue on the bottom left hand corner. Where you on a boat? white hull reflection?

So this first one I have removed as much noise without the clouds looking odd and corrected the lens curve. I have then sized for a 60cmx40cm canvas with 2.5cm wrap 6mb file

AV1.jpg

Although I would be tempted with a 20x8 framed print or canvas

AV3.jpg

HTH

:) Of course I take no ownership if you use either of my files and are not happy with the results from a printing company

Last edited:
Legend! Thanks so much for having a look at it.

I could view the B & W version on the forum but the link to it on your site wasn't working, just went to your pages. Downloaded the colour one though. :smashin:

I was going to ask about the blue hue - yes we were on a boat between Auckland and Waiheke Island so could be some sort of reflection. Guess that the nature of the water means it would be near impossible to remove/reduce that colouring and get it to match the surrounding water? Obviously you can't see it in the B & W version.

Given the noise in the image (even with the noise you removed), what do you think the chances are of getting the size a bit larger? Was hoping I could get to the 80/90 x 54/60cm kind of size but it may be asking too much in terms of quality?

Perhaps canvas isn't the way to go and should go for a flat print and make it seem larger with a fat mount and frame?

You can get the blue out of the bottom, just needs some time infront of photshop. Not got time tonight or I would do it for you. As others have said Canvas is very forgiving, although I think your pushing your luck with this one, but hay its upto you, your the one that will be looking it.

Pushing luck with larger size again, or with removing the blue?

If the latter, there is no rush and would be really grateful!

With the resizing you did and the 2.5cm wrap, would that mean that anything within 2.5cm of the edge of the picture would go round the edge? You may be able to see a couple of tower blocks etc on left had side of the coastline - this is the Auckland Sky Tower and would really like for that to be peeking out on the front of the picture.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom