1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximising Windows XP Setup

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Brad M, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Brad M

Brad M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for advise on any recomended settings for Windows XP Pro to maximise the computer performance whn editing video. I have a P4 3GHz and have the computer only for editing purposes. Cheers

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    A large, fast HD like a SATA or a drive on it's own IDE or partition dedicated to video work only.
    Lots of memory (at least 512mb would help)
    Turn off all background activity (anti-virus etc) especially when capturing rendering.
    Disable hard disk cache writing (in Device manager, HD properties)
    Enable DMA on HD (usually is by default)
    Disable all unnecessary 'Services' in Administrtor Tools in Control Panel...

Win XP tweaks here...
    http://datacreek.net/webgear/tips/xptweaks.html

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If possible use a dedicated HDD for the video capture with no programs installed on it. Separate partitions are not as good as the separate disk due to the data transfer rate being so high for capture of video.
    I use a free downloadable program called 'EndItAll' (do an internet search for it) to disable all the background programs. Also make sure you disable screen savers and power save modes.
    Put your boot drive and video drives on the same IDE channel and then put DVD/CD drives on the other as these can slow down the HDD if on the same channel.
    Make sure that hte HDD cables used are UDMA and not the cheaper CD IDE cables (assumeing they are IDE devices and not SATA that is).
    Make sure that you have loads of disk space. Video takes 1Gb for every 4 minutes captured (approx 14Gb per hour). You will need at least double the 14Gb for every hour of captured footage to allow for editing, file conversion etc.

Mark.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    going back to basics...this worked well for me...

* Format the HDD in NTFS rather than FAT32 then go back and do a fast format. I don't know why but this made a big difference to the speed of the drive during installation.

* One drive for Win XP and other programmes (mine's a Seagate 120Gb 7200rpm Ultra ATA133 on an 80 pin cable) and second drive is a Seagate 80Gb SATA for video files.

* Use the motherboard manufacturers SATA driver (press F6 during early stages of Win XP install) but let Windows control the IDE drive. I tried the m/b mfctrs IDE driver - disaster :rolleyes:

My system is an Athlon 2200+ on a AOpen AK77-600GN m/b, 1 gig PC400(?) ram, 32mb nVidia AGP4 graphics card, Pyro DV capture board fed from a Thomson VMD22 miniDV camcorder (clone of a JVC). Although final rendering could be quicker this system and a Win98 based Athon 700 before it have never dropped any frames - touch wood :D

Regards