Maximising image contrast - Part 2

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Thats her fave - I suppose a light grey couch would work.

I was going to splash out on proper theatre seats, reclining, massaging, heated, and so on - but its mega bucks. Might just do an ordinary sofa, and save the cash towards the UHD upgrade at year end....
Reclining massaging and heating? What are you thinking of getting up to in there?? I say get a nice comfy sofa on which you can both get comfy :cool: and put the remainder of the budget, as you've suggested, towards the UHD spinner and any other bits so that you're immersive audio and Ultra HD ready.

I was going to do some sub fiddling, but I'm doing the above to..years end be ready fir the immersive audio and Ultra HD :)

Herbiefish

Bit of hard work never hurt anyone !

Alrighty, decision made, black carpet it is - now I'm sitting at 90 to 100" - so two 44' runs of Devore will take me to 88", so seating position will be at the start of the tunnel of black - should I carry on down the sides, or try it at that and see how it looks?
I went for black grey shaggy. It's dark enough to serve its purpose but also slightly two toned to add a nice look to the floor. Doesn't show up crumbs 'as' easily but it will always be the case with a dark carpet unless you can get dark popcorn or just eat chocolate lol.

mcspongy

Bit of hard work never hurt anyone !

Alrighty, decision made, black carpet it is - now I'm sitting at 90 to 100" - so two 44' runs of Devore will take me to 88", so seating position will be at the start of the tunnel of black - should I carry on down the sides, or try it at that and see how it looks?
The thing I noticed (in my peripheral vision - Steve will like that:)) when I first put Devore on the ceiling was the uncovered 'lit-up' bit (and my ceiling is white, there's a poor quality pic above a bit), so IMO you only really need to go back so far that the 'ceiling-Devore edge' is out of your eyeline assuming you have darkish walls, or you go for maximum contrast potential and panel the whole room.

I no longer notice the ceiling where the Devore finishes and the uncovered bit starts when I watch films, it was only the initial change.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Before rugs:

Before Rugs.jpg

After rugs:

After Rugs.jpg

With the lights out, when watching a film, the transition between rugs and velvet surrounds is seamless - they're effectively black/invisible.

Best still (for me) is the convenient size.

The rugs are 1.45m x 1.0m. My room is 3m wide.

So at the moment I have 2, sideways on (2 x 1.5m = 3m), coming 1.0m into the room.

I can buy a third, and move them longways (3 x 1.0m = 3.0m), so they'll come 1.5m into the room.

I can then buy a 4th and switch them back sideways on, and have 4 rugs out, now coming 2.0m into the room.

Steve W

Jenz

I actually found a lovely black carpet with very occasional grey fleck. It looks superb and helps completely black the room.

I use Marston & Langinger "Charcoal" colour paint on walls and ceiling and Devore as a rectangle on the screen wall and sides two feet out.

I have a very understanding Wifey.

Jag of the Bailey

Distinguished Member
I actually found a lovely black carpet with very occasional grey fleck. It looks superb and helps completely black the room.

I use Marston & Langinger "Charcoal" colour paint on walls and ceiling and Devore as a rectangle on the screen wall and sides two feet out.

I have a very understanding Wifey.
I can verify the above. I visited a few weeks ago. Both the carpet and walls are exceptionally dark and seem to absorb reflections very well indeed. So much so that I took details of both the carpet and paint whilst I was there.

Jag

AidenL

I'm liking what Im seeing here - I might do the first 8ft from the screen in black, and dark grey for the rest of the room, and match the devore down the sides similar to Peckers solution - looks super.

AidenL

I ordered 25m of Devore yesterday and four packs of 50mm thick RW3 Rockwool - that's the 60kg/m3 stuff.....

csmartins

Novice Member
Sorry to bump this thread but I have two questions:

Regarding the Devore material, can I use it on its own with white walls behind it? As curtains.

And also what paint is the least reflective? For the ceiling. It can be completely black, it doesn't matter.

Thanks! :)

iamsludge

The white walls will not show through the devore but the devore material is quite thin, likely too thin for curtains.

csmartins

Novice Member
The white walls will not show through the devore but the devore material is quite thin, likely too thin for curtains.
There is a chance I didn't make myself clear. I meant curtains as in something to cover just the wall and no windows. It's only to cover the white walls so there are no reflections - will it work fine in that case?

Thanks!

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
it will be perfect for that

Devore still is the king of materials......

expensive but you get what you pay for

Allan :thumbsup:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
That's good to hear. I'm planning on getting some Devore made into curtains on an electric track each side of my screen. They will retract back into the sides of a baffle wall, so will be hidden when not in use.

Just using Devore on it's own would mean that I could have a longer section of curtain as it would take up less space when retracted if it doesn't need to have a lining on it. Mine will run in front of fairly light coloured walls, with more traditional curtains on the left side that the Devore will also cover.

I guess it won't be cheap, but 1). You get what you pay for and 2). This is my substitute for a dedicated room, so it'll still be cheaper than building an extension to my house (that won't happen anytime soon anyway).

iamsludge

My only caveat would be that you'll want to sew a lining along the edge you hang it from to strengthen it so it doesn't tear under it's weight. That's what I've done and it works fine.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I'm going to get them professionally made as we'll be getting the other curtains and roman blinds made for the room anyway, so will have a proper heading fitted at the top as you suggest. Lucky we know a local curtain maker who does a good job at a fair price.

Soulnight

Standard Member
Look at them on your computer on a bigger screen. But they are very very close anyway! :) And I did not have a bigger sample of devore on hand.

sims

Look at them on your computer on a bigger screen. But they are very very close anyway! :) And I did not have a bigger sample of devore on hand.
Thanks for the pic. Do you find that the triple black velvet is darker than the Devore then?

Soulnight

Standard Member
If you look at all the pictures on my blog, you can decide for yourself, which of TBV and Devore is blacker. To me they are very close...

For the price, just follow the links to the dealers on my blog. ;-)

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Great comparison.

The blacks look different in different pics - it's clearly very difficult to photograph black!

The results pretty much reflect my experiences. The Devore maybe slightly blacker in direct comparison, but the DC-Fix is clearly more than good enough for the job, and substantially cheaper.

With the lights off, projecting a white field with overspill on to my screen's border and SC-Fix masking, the border and masking are indistinguishable.

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Trending threads

Latest News

NAD launches T 758 V3i surround sound receiver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky unveils next tranche of HDR content
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Acoustic Energy launches AE520 flagship speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney drops all 20th Century Fox branding