Maxim MX11-21 DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bonzobanana, Jul 9, 2005.

1. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Anyone after a compact dvd player perhaps to go under a 14" portable or go into a small space could do worse than get a Maxim MX11-21 dvd player from Currys or Dixons. Its £29.99 and apart from being compact has a few other things going for it. Firstly although the player only has 2 channel analogue output it still has a DTS decoder in addition to Dolby Digital. So if you have a nice stereo or prologic I/II setup you can enjoy DTS quality. Even if you don't you can enjoy high quality dts sound through headphones plugged into your portable tv. Its also multiregion out of the box. It doesn't feature divx but does support practically every other format. One of the greatest things about it though is its exceptionally good at reading poor copied media or at least mine is. I have about half a dozen old dvd-rs that other players can't play and it plays them without problems. Its also fast in operation. The current MX11-21 is different to the older version. Its been completely reworked internally to the earlier model and features a different dvd drive and circuitry even if the actual dvd decoding chip is the same (sunplus).

It has full RGB scart output with an excellent picture and does all the normal ntsc to pal or straight ntsc playback. It also features pal 60 for those with only have a spare s-video socket/scart on a tv that accepts a 60hz field sync but can't process the ntsc chroma signal.

You also get component output with pal and ntsc progressive scan. Very good quality thanks to a licensed silicon image de-interlacer embedded into the sunplus chip.

One point though it only features 5.1 coaxial output, there is no optical.

[​IMG]

2. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too got one, a bit cheaper as it was the display model ( £7) it has one of the best pictures i have seen on dvd, the only trouble i have with it is there was no remote and i cant turn the sub titles off. I bought a one for all remote but that wont work with this dvd for some reason.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Poundland do a universal remote control for a £1 which lots of people resell on ebay for a lot more. However the cheaper chinese dvd players are notorious for being hard to use with universal remotes. Theres just so many of them to support.

4. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you know of a remote that will work on the maxim or any of its codes for a universal remote

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I personally don't. Also there are two revisions of that model that I know of and the remote codes are different. I think the poundland remote is more likely to support it than a one for all as the one for alls are of european or american design where as the poundland one is a full chinese design.

6. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the Maxim chinese then, no wonder there is no maker listed for it.