Maxim 5" colour lcd tv

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by whodini, May 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. whodini

whodini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this Saturday. I switch it on and after 5 minutes it seems to switch itself off and I get a white screen. I have tried 3 different places to plug it in - no joy. Once it has switched itself off if I switch it on again it takes less than 30 seconds to go off again.

It is a maxim mx11-48

2. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Not exactly the right forum :) but if you bought it new don't worry trying to figure out what is wrong with it, just take it back for a replacement.

3. whodini

whodini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't state the obvious - If you don't know please don't post. I am not in a position to go back right now.

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Is that the sound of padlocks I hear?

Whodunit - seeing as you're new to the forums, it's worth bearing in mind you shouldn't be condescending to those who've been here longer and offer advice.
    As already pointed out, this is not the right forum for you to ask your question in, but irrespective, the reply made is the right one, even if not the one you want to hear.

There's nothing to prevent you contacting the reseller and inform them of the problem you're experiencing - they may offer you a replacement by post, once you return yours for them to see it is indeed defective. If not and they dismiss you for whatever reason, then you can still visit them in person when you can get back to them.
    An alternative is to contact Maxim (or their UK distributor) direct and see if they will do anything for you - probably a repair, but maybe a replacement.

Hope you get it sorted, but have you tried it on battery power to see if it's any different. I suspect it won't be and it's an internal issue.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Absolutely the amount of sarcasm on this site is beyond a joke.
    The white screen flash is indicative of cold capacitors and is a common enough problem .

What you need to do is leave the unit in boiling water for about 30 mins: be careful to let it dry completely before you plug it in again otherwise you might ruin it.

That should put enough heat into the capacitors to get them flowing properly.

If that doesn't work take it back but make sure you tell them you've given it a good boiling. That way they will realise you know what you are talking about and they won't give you the runaround.

To be honest they should have boiled it themselves before they sold them but most of the people that work in retailers are clueless muppets.

6. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    My tongue in cheek/nay "sarcastic" post has been removed by the management, no explanation, OK, fine by me.
    The legitimate and perfectly helpful post from Jonstone was met with sarcasm and hostility by the OP; glad i wasn't that rude when i first joined.
    Delete my post by all means but do the job properly and move the thread to the proper forum eh?

7. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    no explanation? I put a comment in that I was just tidying the thread up, you should have got a mail? Anyway, I was tidying the thread up. I agree with your interpretation by the way.

8. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine was "tidied" as well.
    Having said that is was a bit sarcastic so I apologise.
    I had drunk a certain amount of alcohol at the time as was being very childish.
    Sorry for being a wally. Won't happen again.

Andrew

9. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Me too, sorry.

10. whodini

whodini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know I ask for help and I get "take is back to the shop". If this is the incorrect forum perhaps you couldve informed me where to post. It's like when someone says somethings wrong with their pc so an "experienced" forum member says reboot.

I don;t think you would like it if I said oh that's ok lets not solve the problem here lets give a really dumb answer.

I said i cannot leave where I am - and I am not going to say where as it is none of your business. I was polite and was just asking fo a solution. Quite obviously people here are not willing to help they are far for willing to dish out even more useless and really dumb posts.

You guys should keep your fingers off the keyboard. Quite cleary you cannot control your need to be a need to be stupid.

You are right not only is this the incorrect place to post it is the incorrect forum altogether. Look up the word help in the dictionary it does not convert to being nasty or sarcastic.

Chow and ban me as you are right and im wrong quite clearly.

11. dan54

dan54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Whether you like it or not Jonstone gave you the correct answer in the first place-to take it back to the shop.Whether you can leave where you are or not is hardly anyones fault on here!

12. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So true.

Basically you have a dud so it HAS to go back.
    No amount of help on here is going to mend a knackered TV.

Options.....

Option 1. Take it back.
    Option 2. Get someone to take it back for you.
    Option 3. Ditch it and get a new one.

Hope that was more helpful than my other post..

Andrew