1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxi Eclipse 270 Convergence Query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul Projector, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Projector

Paul Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

New to this forum and looking for some advice on my Maxivideo Eclipse 270 which I have owned since new. It has only had about 2000 hours usage and as I also own (dare I say it on this forum!) a Sharp XG3900 LCD which gives superbly razor sharp convergence perfect pictures but obviously lacks the superior colour rendering of a CRT.
    I sometimes compare pictures between the 2 on the same DVD film image and the CRT always looks more filmic.

I have moved home 3 times in the last 4 years and my most recent move has given me a real problem in re-converging the Maxivideo CRT. I have had no trouble previously in converging after moving home as the new rooms have always had a similar layout so only minor re-convergence needed.

My new home cinema room is about the same size as my last although I have now had to mount my 6FT screen 3 FT higher up the wall than ever before.
    (I have a full THX Speaker system, THX Ultra R1 Pioneer DVD player, THX Ultra Receiver and a Pioneer LD Player plus 100's of R1 DVD's, have also retained 80 NTSC LD's which are either not on DVD yet or contain suplements the DVD does not have. I have been heavily into home cinema since 1987!! As has my wallet!!)

The major problem I am having is that the Blue CRT will not mechanically align to the Red & Green no matter what I do it is always way out. I have tried mechanically resetting all 3 tubes then starting from scratch as per the user setup manual and can never get it close enough to the other 2 tubes. The only way I can get it even remotely close is to reset all 55 analogue trimmers then bring the Blue in by time consuming manual convergence on all 3 tubes (I totally relate to all the posts I have read on this forum RE: how long you spend trying to get the convergence perfect). I must have spent 40 hours in the past week or so trying to resolve the convergence with no success.
    I am using the projector on a piece of furniture which I built to house both my projectors for front projection.

I have all the correct measurements in relation to screen size,distance, etc. I have also tried adjusting the electro magnetic rings on each tube to no avail.

Please can someone tell me where do I go from here as Maxivideo are of no help to me at all. Ideally I need guidance as to which trimmer/circuit I need to adjust to bring the Blue CRT back to the same level as the others as although I am no video technician think that the Blue CRT is blooming as it seems much brighter than the other tubes and always has but now refuses to line up correctly where as in the past I could always get 98% perfect alignment.

Many Thanks In Advance

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Paul,

Welcome top the forums....

It would seem that a part has failed or something has moved in transit. From what you say it sounds like you hav e[plenty of experience with your projector. If at mid points you are saying it's physically impossible to kine up bllue with green and red cross then something is wrong, definately.

The first thing I would do is turn contrast OFF and turn brightness to close to MAX. Put on a dark scene of a film first. Maek sure centreing pots etc are all at mid points when doing this. When you look inside tube face you should see the projected image framed by a darker black border. The darker black border is the RASTER. You should use the centring magnets (the ones behind the yoke) to move this rectangle so it is in the middle of the tube face. Is this possible or are they all already in the middle? Now put up cross hair test pattern and check that this pattern is centred in the middle of the raster.....Is it? If it is then you should be able to carry out mechanical alignment and then convergence. If it isn't then we need to find someone who knows whwt pots etc to use to get all the test patterns centred on raster.

If the cross hair was centred and the tubes still cannot be aligned mechanically then it looks like the blue tube has somehow been dmaged perhaps by being droppped.

Re the blue glowing more. The blue will priobably have an auto de-focus on the tube to make the beamspot bigger and therefore excite more phosphor to make image brighter. The eye isn't as good at seeing detail in blue compared to red and especially green so you wont notice the soft blue in use. If it was as sharp as green adn red then the drive of blue would need to be increased to compensate to keep colour balance the same. This would likely as not just trash the blue tube faster and is unneccesary on your unit.

Gordon

3. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

I have an Eclipse 370 model.

When I moved house I had the same prob as you. I went through the same procedure as you three times. Reset everything, lense fixings, alignment, pots, magnet chokes the lot!

Thing is I ended up fixing it but its now so long ago I can`t remember what it was without looking again now, which I may do soon as I didn`t do a final trimming run I was that exhausted over so many full nights setting it! Sorry, but just wanted to let you know that it isn`t damaged anyway.

One weird thing I noticed though is the projector won`t converge on its cross-hatch if being fed a NTSC signal via RGB which is strange, soon as it gets a PAL one its ok. Both signals work great afterwards though.

I`m considering changing to a DLP projector, maybe the new PLUS V-307 as its spec seems excellent & has the progressive scan component inputs etc with a whopping 800:1 contrast ratio. Fed up with CRT, trimming now & then, the size, the wait for tubes to warm up to optimum etc

I`d like to compare but there`s no supplier close to me:(

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Gordon get there again!
    Nothing to add to his post other than rather then using the cross hair to do the mechanical toe in of the lenses. I would use the raster.
    Whilst it is glowing at full brightness you should be able to see the Raster over scaning the screen onto the wall. Provided the raster is in the midddle of the CRT surface. then toeing in should be done by getting the overscaned picture evenly spaced.

Most CRT's have two sets of magnets on the back of the tube the ones right at the back are generally for image shift but watch you don't chnage the stimators (the next set or you may have to spend a bit more time inside your PJ)

5. Paul Projector

Paul Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys thank for the replies. Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond but believe it or not I have had to build a custom cabinet to hold both my Eclipse CRT & Sharp LCD Projectors. This is so I can use both without reconverging either. It's quite a task getting the measurements correct so that the CRT points to the dead centre of the screen on an imaginary line but I've cracked it now.

This should be finished in the next day or so. Then to the fun stuff....

Gordon/Roland:

I'll look at the raster first as per your suggestions as this does sound like it could be the problem. The only unfortunate thing is that I have moved both sets of rings on the back of each tube so will need to spend a lot of time getting it right (hopefully!).

I'll report back in a few days with how I get on.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.