1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

max wattage outputted by Yamaha RX-V630?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rOAdeh, Jan 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just purchased a new Yamaha RX-V630 which I'm currently waiting to be delivered along with a set of Wharfedale Rubiances 23s, 25s and 2 Rubiance Centres (for 6.1).

Originally i was going to order the Wharfedale Diamond Cinema set, yet when i came to order i was informed that they were out of stock and that i could get the Rubiances for exactly the same price.

I knew the Rubiances were generally more expensive than the Diamonds and so decided to accept their offer although I did make sure that I was able to return the speakers if i was not satisfied, while all the time the assistant on the phone was saying how much better the Rubiances were.

Yes i know this was foolish; just ordering blind because not only did i not know how they sounded but apparently they are also discontinued (i only found this out when it was too late to cancel). I'm not worried about returning them even with the added delivery costs because if they are good then I will have got a bargain as far as I'm concered. However on receiving them the manual states that they have a maximum power handling of 100w.

This worries me slightly as the Diamonds are rated at between 20 and 150w per channel and off the Yamaha site it says the max power for my receiver is 125w. However it also mentions that the minimum is 75w. Does this mean that these are just burst figures and that the receiver actually would be at 100w RMS? Or will i in all likelihood damage the speakers pairing it with this receiver?

What legal grounds do i stand on in this case - i was originally ordering something suitable for my receiver. and the assistant knew the receiver i was planning to purchase yet still suggested i should take those speakers. Would i be able to just return them at no cost to myself and expect a full refund or will they refuse it as an excuse? I know i have 14 days to return the speakers as part of my rights but then i will have to pay the rather hefty delivery charge and would at least like to try the speakers to see how they sound before deciding whether to keep them.

Although obviously in auditioning them i do not wish to damage them.

Thanks for any advice

Ben

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The output figures for amps are often massaged by the maufacturers - especially companites like Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc - as a marketting poly - so I would always take the rated power output with a pinch of salt.

Having said that ... the rated output is irrelevant really. Unless you are listening at incredibly high levels you are unlikely to damage your speakers. And a speaker is more likely to be damaged by an underpowered amp - as this is more likely to distort and when pushed hard will clip.

(For a full description of clipping see previous articles on similar subject!)

Victoria