1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

max sub distance

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by 18j, Apr 26, 2002.

1. 18j

18j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would a sub sound ok at about 22ft from the tv? the one i've got is with the kef egg package.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    You´ll need to play around with positioning of the sub, you may find it sounds great 22ft away from the TV. On the other hand it may sound terrible!!

Its best to place the sub at your listening position, play some music with decent bass and then wander round the room to find where the bass sounds best to you. When you´ve found the spot, put the sub there.

You´ll probably be limited to some extent by furniture etc and aesthetics (cant have a sub in the middle of the room!!).

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the subwoofer should be as close to the front speakers as possible, unless you use a crossover frequency lower than 60 hz, witch you don´t...

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Lowrider, although I'm new to this I found that when I had the sub at the back of the room I could tell the direction it was coming from and no twidling with settings could cure this. I then positioned it near the front speakers and after a bit of setting up all is fine, it now integrates with my speakers much better and I no longer have the directional problems.

The magazines always seem to say that you can't tell where the bass is coming from, well I could until I put it right near my front speakers.