• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

max size of external hard drive for PS3

custard10

Prominent Member
i'm sorry to ask this if it has already been answered before....

can someone please tell me the max size of external hard drive i can connect to the ps3 via USB for storage/playing of media files.

i'm thinking of buying a 2TB drive but want to be sure it will work.

thanks

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Dont think there will be a max size, im using a 1TB with no problems, 2tb will be fine.
Just make sure when u get it to format it to "FAT32" so the PS3 will recoginse it.
Right Click/Properties in MY Computer on your PC when u get it to check what it is. (under file system) Will Likely be NTFS format when u get it.

custard10

Prominent Member
i had read somewhere that 2tb was the max for fat32 if thats of any relevance?

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Unsure but if thats the case then u still ok, i wouldnt worry when formatted it'll be recognised no problem. It's not like some cameras etc when say they limited to a certain size of card. 2TB will be recognised no problem.
Just remember no single file over 4gb in size will be able to be copied to it when FAT32.
I recently bought a Segate 1TB for about £69 for media and a PS3 backup. Was NTFS out the box tho.

custard10

Prominent Member
gotcha,

i'll make sure i dont go over 2tb.

any recommendations on which 2tb drive to buy and from where?

GMC79

Distinguished Member
You really need 2TB? They get expensive over 1TB.
Go have a search at play.com/overclockers.co.uk etc (play.com not working for me at the mo) i bought the 1TB Segate and it's very good must be some 2TB's on there too.

custard10

Prominent Member
You really need 2TB? They get expensive over 1TB.

probably not:D

i'll have a think about the size and order tomorrow.

thanks again.

custard10

Prominent Member
just an update on this:

i ended up buying the 1.5TB samsung story pre-formatted to fat32.
its working just fine.:)

it was bought from this company as they were the only one i found that would allow me to receive my first delivery to an alternative address rather than my registered credit card address.

thanks for the help guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom