Max Payne's Dedicated Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by Max Payne, Sep 1, 2007.

1. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Nice set-up there Max.

With regard to the sound problems, as someone mentioned earlier, make sure you have the polarities correct when connecting the speaker cables. Basically ensure you have the positive and negative connections from the amp connected correctly to the speaker at the other end. I can't see any markings on the cables you are using so it may be worth just using a marker pen to distinguish between them on the cable itself. Also I know it sounds daft but make sure you have the speakers connected to the correct connections. It little things that like that that are easy to miss. I once spent 4 hours trying work out why I was getting no sound from my amp from any of my equipment. After disonnecting and reconnecting everything over and over again, checking the polarities and making sure everything was set to output to the amp, and getting more and more frustrated I started swearing at the bloody thing, it turned out I had accidently pushed the "Speaker On/Off" button on the front of the amp.

Are you planning on running a sound cable form the projector at some point. I dont think a DVI cable carries sound, and also if you have you DVD player connected to the amp why not just use the sound from that.

That adaptor you are using to connect the sky box to your projector. Is a it a 21 pin Scart block or not. If not then you may only be transmitting a composite signal to your projector (basically the worst picture you can get). It might be worth using the s-video connection from the Sky box to the projector directly. You will get a much better picture than composite, however as s-video doesn't carry sound you'll need run a optical cable from the optical out on the sky box to the optical in on the amp.

2. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Okay - Im back to work with new audio cables and new speaker wire bought.

Thanks Hazard.

Ive just realized that I have taken this picture after trying everything else and then Ive taken out the lead from the projector

but Im going to start again this evening and do everything 1 by 1.

*The thick white cable is my component video lead that comes from my projector* i.e. yellow

3. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

Thanks for the kind words Stuart

As for the speaker cables, I have made sure that I get the positive to positive and negative to negative right as there are some marking on the cable that I use to match them up. That said, Im going to unconnect everything and connect them again this evening to double check to make sure. (and add the new cable to the surround speaker that you can see is missing)

The sound on the projector is not good enough to be connected directly, so I have been running the sound through the sky box&dvd player up to now with good results.
    As you say, I would like to connect the DVD AND HDDVD to the amp so I can use the sound from that. (not sure how to connect them though)

The adapter was the way I was getting the projector to the sky box and then the dvd player was connected to the skybox from there. As far as I know, I was definitely not connecting via s-video as I know thats the worst connection. Connecting the projector by component to the sky box and the dvd player was connected to the sky box by scart. This meant that I got picture from the sky box aswell and the dvdplayer and the dvd player was giving me the sound.

Now Im trying to replicate this through the receiver now and thats whats getting me confused.

Anyone want to waste their day and give me a step by step guide on what wires go where on the equipment Ive got and how to hook them up?:rolleyes:

4. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I'm no expert compared to the majority of people on here but looking at those pics this is how I would set it up. The pic of the rear of the projector doesn't show if it has Component inputs so I assuming it doesn't

Connect the Projector to the DVD by DVI-HDMI and the DVD to the Amp using Digital Co-Axial.
    Connect the Sky box to the projector with S-Video and the Sky box to the Amp using Optical Cable.

Make sure the speakers are connected correctly with regards to polarity and you have assigned the Optical input on the Amp to accept the signal from the Sky box.

5. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for replying Stuart.

Connect the Projector to the DVD by DVI-HDMI and the DVD to the Amp using Digital Co-Axial.
    At the moment, I have to connect the projector via the component cable, Im not using the dvi to hdmi as I need to get a cable over 30 foot long.
    So do I then connect the projector to which DVD? the ordinary DVD or the HD DVD?

Connect the Sky box to the projector with S-Video and the Sky box to the Amp using Optical Cable.
    Damn, I don't have any optical cable. Is definitely the way to go? I was hoping to connect all by componet cable and not use s-video at all

Make sure the speakers are connected correctly with regards to polarity and you have assigned the Optical input on the Amp to accept the signal from the Sky box

6. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Can you tell us what connections are on the projector, all I can see in the picture is DVI , S-Video, and Composite (Single Yellow Input).

If the projector does have Component Inputs then use that to connect it to the HD-DVD and use that one for watching both HD-DVD's and normal DVD's, or is there some reason you use both (multi-region etc).

I can't see how you are getting component from Sky to your projector. Just a guess from looking at the pics but are you connecting from the Sky box to the amp with the single yellow lead and them from the amp to the projector with another single yellow lead. If so, then thats a composite signal and the worst signal to use.

I would definately go for Optical as you will get Digital sound from Sky instead of just normal stereo when connecting by analogue.

7. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi Stuart/All,

Ive one connection from the projector: composite

That is the main source of the visual

Im using the HD DVD player and the DVD player because the HD DVD is region 1 and won't play region 2 - hence the 2 players.

So I have checked and re-connect all the speakers and this is the state of play at the moment:

Receiver:
    [​IMG]
    Sky:
    [​IMG]
    DVD:
    [​IMG]
    HD DVD:
    [​IMG]

This set up gets me:
    Sky:
    Sky picture and sound (seems to be through the 5 speakers - most of the audio through the centre speaker) - so it means all the speakers are working and set up correctly

HDDVD:
    I switch to DVR (which is how I have the HD DVD connected) and I get image at 480p, but not at 720p. I get sound out the front 2 speakers, not the centre

DVD:
    I switch to dvd, and I get an image, but absolutely no sound

Anyone want to help me to what Im doing wrong...again?

8. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Is this player from an all-in-one cinema system? I take it that it doesn't feature a digital out?

I can't really make out the writing from the photo, but it looks like you have the audio lead plugged into the players audio in, try plugging them into the connections on the scart adapter instead.

You won't get 720p over Composite, you need to use HDMI or Component for that. As far as the audio is concerned, i would assume that your amp is assigned to use the stereo output from the HD-DVD player. If this is the case you'll need to go into the amps setup menu and select the relevent digital input.

9. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Looks like that to me too.

[​IMG]

On the HD-DVD it looks like you've connected the Digital Co-Axial and the Phono Leads. You can just use the Digital Co-Axial for sound, it sounds like you have the HD-DVD player set to send the sound through the phono leads and not the Co-Axial, thats why you are only getting Left and Right Audio from the HD-DVD.

Change the sound output on the HDDVD player to Co-Axial or make sure you have the Amp set to receive the sound form the CO-Axial input.

10. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for replying Miniholic.

Yes its a player from the all in one system, but just above it I have another DVD player and will look that up via its digital out instead.

I thought that I wouldn't get the 720p, and the picture at 480p is a waste of time, - so Im on the lookout for a new hdmi cable. Need one at 10-15 metres.
    I currently have a cable going from the dvi slot on the projector and its connected to a computer monitor cable that goes to the PC that is in the rack. If I take that out, then I have no way of connecting the PC, so Im at another crossroads now on what to do?

I will got into the amp menu and assign the relevant digitial input later

Thanks for your help.

On the HD-DVD it looks like you've connected the Digital Co-Axial and the Phono Leads. You can just use the Digital Co-Axial for sound, it sounds like you have the HD-DVD player set to send the sound through the phono leads and not the Co-Axial, thats why you are only getting Left and Right Audio from the HD-DVD.

Change the sound output on the HDDVD player to Co-Axial or make sure you have the Amp set to receive the sound form the CO-Axial input.

Thanks Stuart, I think I need to start assigning the amp to receive the sound correctly. It looks like I wasn't taking that into account at all. Thanks!

Feeling more and more stupid as this goes along to be honest.......

11. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Success!!

A quick pick:

[​IMG]

Off watching Proof with the wife now

12. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Glad to see you have got it sorted :clap:

13. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Knew you'd get there in the end. :smashin:

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,049
    Great to see you got there in the end. That room looks superb BTW.:thumbsup:

15. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for the kind words Lads!

Finished watching first movie with the new speakers properly set up. As it was a dialogue heavy movie it was a perfect opportunity to listen to the centre....it was excellent and a real step up from what I was used to. Even the wife noticed the difference (which is always a bonus)

Thanks to everybody for listening to my concerns over the setting up (special thanks to stuart1976 ,miniholic, hazard & gadget boy ), but I think I got myself further confused as I went along. All set up except for the HD DVD player, but I know what Im doing and just waiting for the HDMI to DVI cable to arrive on the doorstep (It gives me time to order some more titles)

With the father in law coming back at then end of this week, Im hoping I will start finishing off the room during next week. The unit surrounds and the skirting will be first and hopefully I can then get him to make the unit at the front of the room so it can house the centre speaker and sub.

Will be adding 2 more items to the room: hopefully a Rocky canvas and another few chosen mini framed movie pictures.

Will post more pictures as it takes shape.
    Relief now all starting to come together!

16. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    YAY!!!

Glad to hear you got it all sorted.:smashin:

17. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Passed the ultimate test then.:devil:

You'll probably notice an improvement when you get the centre up off of the floor too.

18. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
  19. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks lads

Yep - the ultimate test is right. She's not overly interested in the picture or sound, but more into the setting (i.e. room) But she did notice the sound which was encourgaing as I didn't have to keep turning up and down the sound - the centre was just very,very goods and I can't wait to get it (centre) off the floor and into a new cabinet. as it will sound even better!

Haven't cranked up the surroun sound yet, but Im itching to get home and put on The Matrix lobby scene to see what its like!!!:clap:

Promise to start adding more pics over the coming days.

20. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Came accross some construction pictures that are 2-3 years old, but thought I would post them anyway as it gives a sense of perspective on the size of the room (its also because Ive no new pics to post until some changes are made)

[​IMG]
    In this picture you will see
    1) the yellow stickies highlighting where the holes for the lights and the projector where to go (yellow stickies - very scientific eh?)
    2)You can see a desk on the left hand side. That actual desk came out of board room and it about 7-8 foot long and quite wide. I don't actually use it and it is stored behind the walls now, but its does keep a perspective of the size of the room
    3)
    The room at the end (after you walk up the stairs) used to look like this while converting the rooms:
    [​IMG]

The view to the other side is this:
    [​IMG]

The room to the left is a bathroom which has a shower on the right hand side and a 2 person sauna beside it. The sauna was my wife's "present" in exchange for me getting the cinema room+plasma. To be honest I have used it myself and its great. She uses it alot, especially in the winter. Its a great unit and has its own cd player in it, with the controls on both sides of the door. So you can put the favourite cd in it and read a book while you sweat :LOL: The added benefit is that you can use the cd player while in the shower.
    Looks like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I will post real pics of ours when I get back from a weekend away, but on top of ours we have most of our cds as its the only place (other than the car), that we actually get to listen to music.
    On the other side is a walk in wardrobe area which as I type is actually housing 2 large bookcases filled with erh...books and things and is still waiting for the clothes rails etc.

The rest of the room now houses a double bed and is our 5th bedroom and another guest room. Beside that is my office desk. So that side of the house has an office,5th bedroom, walkin wardrobe, toilet, shower and sauna

So as you can make out, I think we have actually made a great use of the space.

21. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Very Swish........ :thumbsup:

Nicely taken top picture :smashin: was it on self timer on the floor, or did an Orangatang take it :D

It is good to see some before pics..................

22. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks,

Yeah, can't remember what I did. But at the time of taking them, I was so busy that I just pointed and clicked and that one was probably an Orangatang moment!!

I did get the HDMI/DVI cable, but now need a connector as its not the correct connection for my projector. Back to ebay and ordered the connector - so another few days wait for HD DVD viewing to recommence.

Father in Law is back, but waiting on the go time of when he can start before I can add any more pics/comments.
    He did bring back 20 bottles of wine for the unit though!!!!!

23. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Very nice setup there Max, just one thing - is the sauna IR or conventional? I once read a book in a sauna, all the glue melted and the pages fell out!!:rolleyes:

24. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    :rotfl:
    Now, thats funny!

Yeah, its a Infra Red Sauna and you can read books and magazines in it without them falling apart. The only moisture in there is what comes off your body

Was even thinking of putting a LCD in it, but considering the most time spent at any one time is 25 mins, it was just a stupid idea. Book and especially magazine reading, suits it perfectly!

25. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great work Max, it looks brilliant.

Now sit back and enjoy :)

Haz

26. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks Hazard.

Good to see you back. My trip to Munster Sounds went well, although their customer service wasn't exactly first class (I think they spend too much time in the company of equipment, rather than people), but delighted I got my good deal anyway. Unfortunately I don't think I would be popping down there to have a look around and have a chat with them and pick up the odd things like I would do in any other friendly type of shop. They weren't like that and even though I spent a fair bit of money in the end (4 floorstanders, centre, speaker wire, video cables etc), I got the sense they wanted me out of the shop asap.

Sorry I didn't have time to drop by your place, but maybe another time?

27. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm I'm surprised to hear that, I always found them friendly and helpful. Mind you it was the owner I used to end up talking to each time, and I was in there a lot!

Sure thing, next time you are buying kit perhaps. And I'm sure there WILL be a next time ;)

28. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi Hazard, yet Im sure there WILL be a next time allright!!

ALL
    Have finally got the new DVI-HDMI cable and the connectors and all is go, except the fact that I can't seem to get the HD DVD's to play. Im getting the error HDMI ERROR 1 message. I have searched google and I see that this error is common when trying to connect dvi to hdmi using the HD A1 player. They advise that you should set the projector the the DVI setting before powering on the HD A1 player.

The problem for me is that I can't seem to set the projector at the DVI setting as I don't think it has that setting. Currently I power on the projector and it automatically scans for the connected inputs (i.e. component - computer - dvi etc) and will then set itself automatically on the connected player/computer or sky input. When I power on the player I have to switch the setting on the projector remote and it "finds" the dvi setting and locks on. I then get the HDDVD logo displayed and all looks fine, but I then press play on the HDA1 player and it then starts to search for a connection (ie.e through the DVI, component etc etc) and keeps searching until the HDMI ERROR 1 show up on the Player and the projector shows up the "waiting for input" error.

Bascially Im not sure how to turn on the Projector and set it to DVI in order to connect the player. Is there anyway of locking it? Is this option in the menu somewhere?

29. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can you tell me, is that Nabru furniture you've got in there, if it is how are you finding it, is it what you expected. I ask because I was looking at this brand but can't get to the showroom and I would prefer getting some feedback before buying.

The Nabru stuff looks great as its easily customizable, and you can send it back if you don't like it.

Andy

30. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi there,

Sorry,which furniture are you referring to?