Max Payne - Mark Wahlberg

Dankeech

trailer looks great, though i'm a bit confused by the 'angel' at the end, i don't remember there being anything supernatural in the games, although i didn't ever finish the sequel..
Hi Marc,
There were scenes like nightmare sequence where you had to walk the fine red line in the dark etc and eveything went quite trippy, may have something to do with that side of things perhaps:)

Dan.

MJeeves

Mark Wahlberg was good in "BOOGIE NIGHTS", "PERFECT STORM", "SHOOTER" and "DEPARTED"... but his best performance to date was in a film called "FEAR"...

He is a truly psychopathic nutter in that!

Anyone seen it ?

Max Payne looks quite good. Mila Kunis is a knockout!:D

Oh yeah... personally, I thought "THE HAPPENING" was dreadful!:thumbsdow

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Mark Wahlberg was good in "BOOGIE NIGHTS", "PERFECT STORM", "SHOOTER" and "DEPARTED"... but his best performance to date was in a film called "FEAR"...

He is a truly psychopathic nutter in that!

Anyone seen it ?

Max Payne looks quite good. Mila Kunis is a knockout!:D

Oh yeah... personally, I thought "THE HAPPENING" was dreadful!:thumbsdow
Saw Fear probably 8-10yrs ago, and enjoyed it. Need to rewatch it. Reese Witherspoon was the girl he was after?

Marc

Distinguished Member
Hi Marc,
There were scenes like nightmare sequence where you had to walk the fine red line in the dark etc and eveything went quite trippy, may have something to do with that side of things perhaps:)

Dan.
i remember that one, really annoying, following the sound of a baby crying or something, and several 'leaps of faith' - i died so many times on that one...

stevos

Distinguished Member
Of all the games i have played Max Payne was the one that has stood out as made for movie. The whole game is pretty much a movie plot and there is something about it that is very cinematic.

That was my thought until i watch Payback, and then i realised Max Payne was a film. Film and game are very similar in style and main character.

I am hoping the real film won't rune the greatness of either Payback or Max Payne.

Brausch

Banned
Well, the trailer doesn't look bad and the castings seems OK (Max always looked like Mickey Rourke to me and Mona Sax is a dead ringer for Julianne Moore) but it looks like it'll be a PG13 and does anyone remember Fox's last PG13 game adaptation - Hitman. Also there's no credit on imdb for my fave supporting character Vlad and will we see Lords And Ladies or Dick Justice?

DrWise

Banned
reminds me abit of constantine
cant wait for this

sco101

Novice Member
New Trailer

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqosHC_IKY&

From Mark Wahlberg:

“The hallucinations are a side-effect of this drug that’s been leaked onto the streets,” says Wahlberg. “A lot of the conspiracy comes from that: Max finds out that it’s a drug tested by the military to create super-soldiers, but someone has flooded the streets with it. It makes crack look like chocolate. He has to take it to keep up with the fight. But yeah, there’s a definite theme of Max fighting the devils inside. There’s a lot of action in this movie, but there’s also plenty of emotion and psychology. It goes pretty deep.”

BAN5HEE

Yeah the trailers look pretty good and I like Mark Wahlberg. Looks like one for the Cinema.

sleepyone

Novice Member
I think they got a good match with casting Mark as Max, that was half the problem with Hitman as they didn't get a good match between the game character and the film character in Tim.

I don't remember fighting daemons either in the game but there was a lot of hallucination/nightmares in the first game so not such a big stretch to have him fight the nightmares.

Also there doesn't seem to have been much bullet-time on show which isn't a great concern to me. If it used only 1 or 2 times through the movie that seems to be just about right as overuse of it usually means they are trying to hide the lack of story by giving you fancy set pieces.

Just my opinion of course :)

Mendes

The trailor does look good, not sure about the Demons though. Am looking forwardt to this as Max is the only 3rd person game I like. I remeber getting it when it was first released and bugged to high heaven... patches were released within hours of the game being launched!

Now play it on Xbox so don't have that trouble, lol.

I hope there's plenty of bullet time in the set peices try and transfer the coolness of it from the game to screen.

Looking forward to this without any hint of forboding :D

Shockabuku

I am hugely looking forward to this film as I was also a huge fan of the game. But, all this talk of cutting the film for PG13 is very worrying, not least because the film in it's current state has been rated R. Frankly, Fox should just let the director do his thing, but then they'd be breaking the habit of a lifetime. It's just another example of the increasing hollywood trend for tweening-down adult themed subject matter :mad:.

sco101

Novice Member
New Trailer

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5emCIibJRko

And it's been confirmed it's a PG-13 :thumbsdow

Film director John Moore has won a hard fought battle with the Motion Picture Association of America to secure a PG-13 rating for the upcoming film, Max Payne -- based on the first and second games from Remedy.
Originally rated R by the MPAA, the director of the violent video game adaptation starring Marky Mark Wahlberg called the MPAA out saying the film was as intense as other summer blockbusters. Moore compared the situation to The Dark Knight, accusing the MPAA of sucking up to Warner Bros. when rating the comic adaptation, although Moore's choice of words were far more colorful. Of course the fight was based on dollars as Moore fought the R rating to secure a more financially viable PG-13 mark on the film which hits theatres on October 17.

Fans of the game will be happy to know that the original uncut vision will eventually see life on DVD in what Moore calls, the "Gamer Dedicated Cut."

But don't expect sunshine and rainbows now that Max Payne landed a PG-13 rating. "The movie you see in the theaters will be an intense experience and the movie you see on DVD will be as intense an experience with some extra sensibilities for people who really adore the game," Moore told GameDaily.

travlinmatt

Just watched it and its not too bad. No pain killers though which disappointed me as that was such a huge part of the game. Its a beer and pizza movie, a strong 3 :smashin:'s outa 5.

Olga Kurylenko is cool as Natasha, but, where as Mila Kunis is hot as Mona, she's not as cold and driven as the Mona from the game. It's fun, but missing the elevator Mona cut scene from the first game which made the "surprise" in the second soo cool. The elevator scene is just a nod to fans, but no where near as cool. Mark Whalberg is a good Max, as thats the charicter he's been playing his whole career, but it works well. Be sure to stay to the end of the credits tho, you never know... ;)

KoThreads

I still have the game. I never finished it. I can remember taking ages to learn how to use bullet time. I forgot it was in this before The Matrix. I think i'll dig it out, it's been ages since i played a good game.

And now i've re-read this thread i'll wait for the uncut version.

Last edited:

mossym

Distinguished Member
aye, was going to go to cinema for this, but i reckon now i'll wait for the proper cut on blu-ray

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett