Max number of HD boxes per dish

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Is there a limit to how many boxes can be added to one dish/LNB?
At the moment, I have the following

HD twin feed into living room
SKY+ twin feed into bedroom
Digibox single feed into kitchen (used as freeview only)

I would like to add another HD box, which will require another 2 feeds.
Will my dish/LNB be able to cope, or will I get to the stage where I need a second dish???

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
Is there a limit to how many boxes can be added to one dish/LNB?
At the moment, I have the following

HD twin feed into living room
SKY+ twin feed into bedroom
Digibox single feed into kitchen (used as freeview only)

I would like to add another HD box, which will require another 2 feeds.
Will my dish/LNB be able to cope, or will I get to the stage where I need a second dish???

Given you have all that at the moment ie 5 feeds, it is 99% certain you already have a Octo LNB (which does what it says on the tin - provides up to 8 feeds)

So you can add another HD box - which will leave you with 1 spare feed.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Is an Octo LNB as big as they get?
Would I need a second dish after that?
Just trying to be 'future proof', with two daughters.:rolleyes:

loz

Distinguished Member

If you want to be future proof with two daughters, it's condoms you need, not a new dish :D

AndyCob

I think there are lnbs out there that go as high as 16 outputs but they are rare expensive beasts. The usual procedure is to fit a T bar on the end of the dish arm and mount multiple lnbs. Of course this means the LNBs may (or at least any more than the first) not be at the prime focus of the dish meaning they get a reduced signal so depending on your location, quality of reception you may need a larger dish rather than a second.

Last edited:

Broadz

Distinguished Member

Two dishes shouldn't cause a problem. I had two dishes on my last house - with a quad LNB on one dish, and a single LNB on the other. Sky thought it would be easier to fit a second dish rather than run cabling from one end of the house to the other.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I knew having a daughter would get me a big phone bill one day (thank god for VOIP) but a Sky bill too?! Oh man...

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

If you need more than 8 you can fit a quattro lnb and connect these to a multiswitch effectively giving as many connections as you need. Just like they do on communal systems with only 1 dish.

IanW

If you want to be future proof with two daughters, it's condoms you need, not a new dish :D

I think I may have just wet myself!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

IanW

Guys if you want the ultimate you want to install a satellite switch (distribution amp). Here the horizontal high and low frequencies and vertical high and low frequencies are sent straight from the LNB to the amp. From the amp any output or pairs can run a SKY or SKY+ HD box.

This is what we have in our house, basically we can have a SKY+ HD box in any room in the house, and up to eleven boxes (as there are 22 outputs on the amp). :smashin:

Ian.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Guys if you want the ultimate you want to install a satellite switch (distribution amp). Here the horizontal high and low frequencies and vertical high and low frequencies are sent straight from the LNB to the amp. From the amp any output or pairs can run a SKY or SKY+ HD box.

This is what we have in our house, basically we can have a SKY+ HD box in any room in the house, and up to eleven boxes (as there are 22 outputs on the amp). :smashin:

Ian.

It's a quattro lnb and a multiswitch you have as post 10. A quattro lnb has one lnb permanently switched to each band. Each reciever is connected by the multiswitch to the appropriate lnb as required

See here

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/multiswitch.htm

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom