1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

max length subwoofer cable?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kayemd, Mar 20, 2005.

1. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is probably not the best idea but i need to try and get a subwoofer cable at least 11m long!!

I don't have an overly expensive sub so probably won't degrade the quality too much?

Anyone know where I can get one from not too expensive of this length?
    Many thanks

2. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I assume you mean a low level cable.

I use an 8m 'Better Cables' cable that I bought with an SVS sub with no hint of a problem. Make sure whatever you use is well shielded as you don't want to pick up a mains hum. Hiss won't be a problem though.

If you have the option, turn the signal up at the source end and the gain down at the sub end, then anything picked up in the cable will be minimised.

I also got Audio-T to make up a custom length digital cable which cost less than off-the-shelf. You could try them for an analogue cable.

Second option. Buy a long stereo analogue cable from, for example, Richer Sounds, carefully pull apart the 2 channels of the cable and join them with a phone-to-phone joining connector (just a suggestion!).

I also noticed B&Q warehouse stores now stock a wide range of AV cables, and they're fairly cheap/low cost.

3. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks ian - just found a belkin 15 m cable for about £10 - will give that a go.

thanks

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I made one up myself 10m long ,works a treat.