Max length of HDMI cable from DV79?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gregeas, Mar 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm snaking cables this weekend to a projector I'm mounting on the ceiling of my theater room.

I'm wondering how long the HDMI cable can be from the DV79. 25 feet should do it. Will I have any problems?

I recall reading a post from an Arcam engineer that HDMI cables should not surpass X length from the DVD players. I don't want to install everything and then experience a problem... Thanks.

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

From memory the specified limit for the HDMI interface is 7m approx 21 feet. However we have had 15m cables working in several systems. So long as you are using a good quality cable it should work OK. Try not to put tight bends or kinks in the cable as at HDMI signal speeds these can cause the signal to be partly reflected back to the source and this reduces the length they will work at.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I've got a 10m Chord Company Silver Plus HDMI cable from my DV29 to my Screenplay 5700 projector, and it looks great to me. As Andy D says, keep the cable tidy, and you shouldn't have any problems :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

4. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. I'm only 1m over the spec but hopefully will be okay.

5. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Also the power on the players output comes into this. The Arcams are very good at driving longer HDMI runs. The other thing to take into account is how long a run can one use for HD signals. A cable that will run 15m on DVD (576p) may not work in the future on 1080p.