Question Max length HDMI cable @ 4k

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by yasmatazz, Jan 11, 2018.

1. yasmatazz

yasmatazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can anyone recommend a HDMI cable able to carry 4k from my PS4 Pro to my TV at a distance of around 12m? Does such a cable even exist? I had a search and I saw conflicting information about max cable length for 4K. Thanks.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,357
    I think max cable length for UHD is 7 metres but you can try longer cables and they may work provided they can keep the signal strong enough. Failing that though you need a sender and receiver.

3. yasmatazz

yasmatazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks @Dodgexander I have decided to try this AmazonBasic cable
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JH70UQ0/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

I have no idea how legit this RedMere tech is but a reviewer was saying he got a PS4 Pro with HDR to work on this 15.2m cable. I was also reading on Amazon from a supplier called Neet that a thicker cable (24 AWG) would have a better chance of transmitting the signal over longer distances. If this doesn't work I may try the Neet cable.

4. Atavus

Atavus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    My QED Performance Active is fine at 10m. They do a 12 and 15m too. I expect there are cheaper ones that are ok.

5. yasmatazz

yasmatazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes I saw those but the 12m cable at £165 is about a third of the price of my TV!

6. yasmatazz

yasmatazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well the Amazon cable did not work. I also tried this Cablesson with a 24 AWG core at 12m and it did not work either (or at least the signal was intermittent):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MFTBGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ended up getting a 7m variant of the Cablesson (26 AWG) and repositioning my PS4 and that has worked. So if you are not going to invest in an active cable then @Dodgexander was bang on the money regarding cable length - 7m is about as far as you can go.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,357
    @yasmatazz sorry to hear you have been unlucky with those cables but thanks for updating us with your findings, hopefully it helps someone else in the future. Does make you wonder what the distance restrictions are going to be like with HDMI 2.1 and things like high frame rate are going to be. From a technical standpoint the more data you need to send over the cable, the shorter it needs to be. That is why UHD cables have a shorter throw than HD ones. With 2.1 and high frame rate on top that is going to be even shorter again I am sure!