1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max error reading for 'good' sound and picture

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Roger, May 12, 2003.

1. Roger

Roger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm very happy with the reliability, picture and sound quality of my Labgear Setpal box.

However, why does it show data quality on all mux/channels as Null 255 4e-6 which I understand from a post on Digital Spy forum translates to 4 errors in 1,000,000 bits?

Signal to noise ratio ranges from 24db to 26db depending on Mux/channel and signal strength is 99 on all muxes.

Cable is SATG6 twin screened and runs directly into the DTT box.

Can anyone suggest how I can reduce the error reading to 0e0 or is this down to the transmitter (Crystal Palace) rather than the DTT box?

Also what is an acceptable/realistic error rating and at what point would this be noticeable on picture and or sound quality?

How does the SetPal performance compare with other makes of DTT boxes?

Thanks

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So why mess with it?

The Setpal tuners are designed specifically for use in low signal areas. If the signal is too strong, the bit error rate will,*increase*.

Connect a variable attenuator and wind it up till you see/hear defects. If your signal is too strong, you may find that the error rate goes down before it goes up.

Fman

3. Roger

Roger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fernsehman.

I've tried a fixed 6db attenuator (which I already had) but although this reduced the signal strength on my FM tuner it made not difference to the signal strength, quality or error reading on the SetPal.

Would it be better to split the aerial so I get a good signal to the FM tuner and as you suggested get a variable attenuator for the SetPal.

If I am getting a strong signal now how will the SetPal react/cope when analog is switched off and the freeview signal increases?

Roger

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno but only 4 errors in every million bits is amazingly good.

Try getting that with a $ky box!

Fman

5. Roger

Roger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fernsehman

Just noticed an '<' before 4e-6 which I believe means 'less than'.

I think i'll take your original advice and not mess with it and be thankfull I don't really have anything to concern myself about.

Thanks for you help.

Roger