Max distance

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by daren jackson, Jul 11, 2002.

1. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My father has finally decided to have SKY. Problem is his house is in the country (ie cant have digital aerial or cable) and is listed (so cant have a dish on the house). The next best idea is to put the dish on a barn (which isnt listed) but is situated about 200 metres from the house. What is the maximum length of the coax cable you can have from the dish to the sky box?

What would be the best way of laying the cable (underground or overground)?

many thx for any help

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a decent cable i should think you will be ok, but that's a guess, a qualified installer may be able to give you the low down better, either way it's a hell of a length to run over or underground, good luck.

You would be better off converting the barn to a dedecated home cinema, now that would be cool.

Bob

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Hi

What about mounting the dish on a ground mount (stand) in the garden nearer the house. Save having to run a long length of cable from one place to another.

We have dishes mounted like this over here in Spain. As long as the base is firmly mounted and does´nt wobble in the wind you should be ok.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing that if your Dad lives in the country, in a house big enough to have a barn, he has a fair amount of land between him and his nearest neighbour?

If so, I'd suggest he just gets the thing mounted as inconspicuously as positioning allows on his house.

I used to live in a conservation area cottage and had Sky put the dish on my house (as did 2 others out of the 4 cottages involved) and nobody ever mentioned it or complained.

When you say he 'can't' have the dish on his house, you might like to consider who, exactly, is ever going to stop him...

5. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately he is a building inspector so he needs to be careful (one rule for all). The building is a Grade 2. Although he has fields and a paddock on two sides the house has neighbours on two sides. The dish on a stick idea unfortunately wont work. The main garden is sunken and too small. It will ruin the look of a 16th century garden somewhat!.

Thanks for the ideas though. What is the maximum cable run of ct100/125 cable?

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Unfortunately he is a building inspector "

No problem then, just get him to officially de-list his building :D

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    He could try his 200 Metre length & then, if results aren't too good, add an in-line amplifier ; these are powered by the 18 volts from the digibox & are quite small. Any decent sat-dealer should have them.

Chris Muriel, Manchester (author of Digital Satellite FAQ).

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris: deferring to your greater knowledge, do you think it makes much difference to replace the cheap cable that Sky installers supply as standard with a better quality run?

I'm fortunate to have almost perfect siting for my dish and get a good signal strength and quality (around 75-80% according to my Panasonic box) but wonder if better cable may improve things further.

Thanks.

9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Depends on how inferior the original is & the length of the cable run.
    If you knew the attenuation/metre of the cables at the highest frequency the LNB has to produce & the length, you could calculate the theoretical difference (in decibels or dB).
    Anyone know the technical detail of the cable that $ky installers supply - or does it vary from installer to installer ?

Chris Muriel

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My cable run is probably 40ft absolute maximum. The cable is thin, non-descript black stuff. It certainly doesn't look very good quality. My dish was installed 3 years ago, although luckily it is sheltered from wind and rain due to the weird shape of my house!

11. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi

when i was in my flat i had a sky bloke come round to do a survey, and the cable run was just over 25 metres so i was told it couldnt be done, damm it! so for 200 i think you would have to use a contractor who would use a booster (well exspensive) or pole mount it away from the house.

cheers
    lee

12. Mario Nicholas

Mario Nicholas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    CT100 max length 40M
    CT 125 max length 50M
    adding a line amp won't get you past 100M so no good news today.
    There are commercial launch amps(indoor) which may overcome 200M of cable signal loss, but, on a practical note siting the dish on a pole mount closer to the building is easily the best option.
    If you attempt to run over long cable distances it's advisable to increase the dish size to improve the carrier to noise ratio prior to amplification.
    PS I want to convert my outside toilet into a mansion house & as I've been very helpful mr building inspector, pleeeeeese pass it.
    :rolleyes:

13. Frank2

Frank2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am living in a grade 1 listed building too. I did not realise that a dish is not allowed on the house until the inspector did his rounds.

I moved the dish 100m away using high quality cable. This was a mixed success, but it worked with my panasonic box.

After many arguments I was finally sent a letter that it is allowed to have the dish mounted on a stand in the garden. The stand was not speficied (I could have used a HV pylon!).
    I put the stand 10mtr away from the house. 100m away from the dish are trees, blocking the view to the satellite. This works OK unless it is a stormy day. In this case the picture goes sometimes blocky.

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Our dish is at least 150m away from the house - it has a twin lnb with two boxes running off of it and it works just fine. :)

15. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Lex's homestead:

[​IMG]