1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max cable length for satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by apul, May 6, 2003.

1. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi, ive done a search but with no definative answers.
    so, i need recomendations on a decent quality cable from my dish to my receiver.
    the distance required may be as long as 75m to 100m due to planning restrictions and situation of a suitable location for the dish.

any suggestions for cable and length would be greatly appreciated.

does maplins sell such cable? as i have no idea where to buy

thanks.

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy cable on 100m reels so no problem there. The best cable is H109 or CT100 but for long runs outdoors you might consider paying extra for W100 which has a foam dielectric and is slightly less susceptible to moisture ingress. You can order any of these from Satcure http://www.satcure.co.uk and probably lots of other places too (I prefer satcure because they give next day delivery and also useful technical help - usually within 3 hours of sending an email).

If you need a length of 75 metres then that's OK but it's more than the maximum recommended. Satcure will advise you but here's what they told me. I'll copy it for you from the email:

If you are in southern England then a "minidish" may be OK, although I'd use a 60cm dish myself, to be certain. If you are in northern England, use an 80cm dish (90cm towards Scottish borders).

Hope this helps! :)

Fman

3. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks, looks like i'll need an 80cm dish
    looking at that site now, seems quite good.