Max brightness too low? 49XH8505

bydandie

SO, I went to adjust my TVs after moving them around using the THX app. The Sony gives a better picture but on the THX calibrator app it's only able to go up to 50 (ie Max) on the brightness test (which corresponds I guess to the 5 on the THX app), whereas the Panny is able to do the whole thing.

There's a lot of settings in there, plus Dolby Vision etc. Is the Sony simply too clever for that test in the THX app now or am I missing something?

chopples

Distinguished Member
SO, I went to adjust my TVs after moving them around using the THX app. The Sony gives a better picture but on the THX calibrator app it's only able to go up to 50 (ie Max) on the brightness test (which corresponds I guess to the 5 on the THX app), whereas the Panny is able to do the whole thing.

There's a lot of settings in there, plus Dolby Vision etc. Is the Sony simply too clever for that test in the THX app now or am I missing something?

Hi mate I have not used the THX app but generally brightness refers to black level, where as on Sony sets brightness controls the back light. Within the advanced settings there is a black level option.

bydandie

Cheers buddy,

The options I've tried are:

Brightness (Adjust the luminance level of the screen.)
Black level (Adjust the picture black level.)
Black adjust (Enhance the black in images for stronger contrast.)

None of them make a difference to what I'm seeing in the THX app though. Just now curious if there is something I'm missing as the picture looks awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom