Mavericks iMac "seeing" files on external drive connected to BT Homehub 3

bratman91

My iMac running Mavericks can access an external flash drive, and read all the files on it, when the flash drive is connected to my BT Homehub 3 via its USB port. However, if I connect an external hard drive (a Seagate) to the Homehub USB port, my iMac sees nothing, even though the drive is formatted for Mac and can be used connected directly to the iMac. Any ideas what the problem is?

Xeneye

Previously MacGeekPaul
Chances are that the flash drive is formatted in FAT32 which the BTHH3 can read whereas your USB Hard Drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended, which I don't think the BTHH3 can read. The quick way to tell if the Flash drive is FAT32 is to plug it into your Mac, open up Disk Utility, which is in Applications/Utilities, once you select the Flash drive, you can see the format information.

bratman91

Many thanks, f0wlerUK, you were spot on. The flash drive is indeed FAT32 formatted and the external drive formatted for Mac. I had no idea that the Homehub was limited in this way. Another thing that has occurred to me is that the external drive is USB-powered (i.e. no power adapter) and I have it in the back of my mind that the Homehub does not have enough power at its USB port to operate the external drive properly. Either way, unless I can use the external drive with Mac format, it's back to the drawing board. Once again, thanks for your help.

Xeneye

Previously MacGeekPaul
I used to have a BTHH3 and had endless problems with the USB port, like you I wanted it for a USB drive, when that didn’t work I thought I’d try and put my printer on it, no luck, it was seen but was temperamental and never worked the same as when plugged directly to the Mac, in the end I threw the BTHH3 away and bought a couple of second hand Airport Extremes, one upstairs and one down, one is in place of the BTHH3 as my router, and then the other has USB drives hanging off of it that are shared around the house on the network, it was the best thing I did, initially was a little pricey, but the simplicity and ease of use has more than paid it back, using Airport Utility to configure the whole network and drives is a joy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom