1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAudio Delta 410 misbehaving

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RichardH, Nov 2, 2002.

1. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, final tether time again....
    I'm just about to return my Delta 410, as it *seems* to de defective (now who's clever buying from the 'States?), but I thought I'd throw this open to you brainy lot to see if you can think of anything I've not covered....

Basically, when I output multichannel analogue, one channel (left surround) is massively louder than the others. I have reinstalled software/drivers, tried different software DVD players, tried using the offending channel pair as the default windows sound out channel, tried in both XP and Win98SE - all with the same result.
    Only thing I've not done is try it in a different PC.

...I can't think of anything else, so looks like it's time for a replacement, do you agree?

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Richard. This is probably stating the obvious to to an insulting degree, but are you absolutely sure that the individual channel levels are correct in the M-Audio configuration panel (furthest tab on the left)?

Also, I presume you're outputting to power amps from the Delta 410....have you eliminated the amp from the equation?

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark - thanks for the response - I have no problem with people stating the bleedin' obvious....
    Yes, the channels are level in the config panel - I have them locked to stereo pairs, so that should prevent the channel imbalance. I did try altering the levels to balance the sound, but couldn't move them far enough!!
    I also meant to say that I have swapped inputs around on the power amp, and it moves round, so power amp OK.

I'm going to have a go in a different PC - just built a new XP box for my wife - otherwise I think it's replacement card time....

Cheers!
    Richard

(P.S. it's all your fault you know..... :D :D )

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hehe...I do feel a certain responsibility here :D

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....DON'T! ..... I admit I've been considering chopping in the Naim 250 etc and buying a Marantz 7300 or something, but I know that once the Naims were gone, I'd never get them back, so I'm trying a bit harder. Not sure how the Shahinians would react to the Marantz either....
    However, the WAF is a bit low with a big stack of power amps plus masses of power switches etc, so that is something else that needs work!!

6. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Parting with those Naims must be a painful thought. Truth of the matter is though...HCPCs aren't quite as friendly as traditional stuff (not without masses of work anyway), so I can see your point. Might be worth seeing if there's a local dealer who can let you have a Marantz on home trial?

7. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HCPC's nearly there - IRMan and Girder doing OK. Nearly at the point of insert DVD and go.
    Very tempting to go the easy amp way, as just saw a similar 250 to mine go on ebay for £770!! That's £270 more than I paid for mine 6 years ago - who said hifi depreciates!
    If I do stick with the Naim gear, I'll end up with a mound of amps though - 250, full width power supply, 4 channel surround power amp - yikes!

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    ...But just think how impressive all that kit will look :D

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Size isn't everything....
    My rack won't fit it all in, and I don't think they make the Tripod stuff any more (or not of the same form factor).

....I guess I won't need to have the radiators on in that room, what with them and the AE100 ;)

didn't get a chance to swap the 410 around at the weekend, but hope to do so this week, then we'll see.....

R

10. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, a replacement 410 arrived on Saturday - I now have a fight with customs on my hands, as I had to pay duty on my replacement :mad:

BUT

It works! Just run the THX test on Monsters Inc, and I have all channels (inc rear surrounds) working. Not played with the virtual 6.1/7.1 yet....

Mark, a question for you (and any other 410 analogue out users).
    I have my system set up in a very similar way to you - no centre, no sub. Centre channel redirection works very well, but the LF seems very lacking compared to when I was using SPDIF out to my Yammy A5 when the 410 analogue wasn't right. My main speakers (Shahinian Arcs) can certainly handle low frequencies, so I was wondering what you have your MAudio Bass Management settings as.
    I have centre and sub ticked as Mute/reroute, and have also ticked the 10Db LF lift box. Anything else I ought to change?

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Richard

Have you thought about getting your NAP250 upgraded? The new style casework is really slick compared to the older style.

(Don't suppose you can afford it at the mo mind)

There are loads of pic of the new gear on their site now.

www.naim-audio.com

12. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nahh - I'm of the old school - the first restyle they did was a bit much for me when they did that - not really got over that one yet :D
    D'you know, I hadn't realised that Julian Vereker had died until the other day....

13. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hah! Think I've sussed the bass problem - I had the front speakers set to cut off at 80Hz. No chance to test it yet, but looks promising....