Mattrick's gone (yay!) BUT...Ballmer's in charge (uh oh)...

pezley

Actually don't get the dislike of the surface. From a technical stand point it's head and shoulder above anything else out there. I have owned an iPad, Nexus 7, Surface RT and now a Surface Pro so my opinion is from experence.

The Surface RT is very much in it's infancy and my main concern is RT will be dead with in a few years and the biggest mitake is allowing it access to a completely pointless (besides office) desktop. It would have been far easier to understand RT if it was market place / metro only rather than a limited version of Windows 8.

The Surface Pro on the other hand is marvelous. Everything I need from a laptop with everything I want from a tablet.

I think when people think of the RT atleast they compare it directly to an iPad and in terms of software availability it really falls behind. In terms of productivity it far ahead of android /iOS. Printers work, usb keyboard and mic. USB memory sticks, Monitor out with the same configuration as Windows8 ( Dual screen, duplicate etc ). Easy access to network shares, full flash support etc.. the list really is great and people have judged quite heavily before investing time in one

if i was to be asked what the best tablet is, the Surface Pro would come out on top any day.

I can HDMI out, bluetooth ( or USB ) keyboard and mouse and it's as if I have a full desktop PC. No limitations.
Throw it in my bag for travelling and I have a very powerful tablet with added bonus of a digitizer capable of running Photoshop with out a hitch.

Also, from a hardware point of view, I can't imagine anyone picking up either the RT or Pro and saying it feels cheap. Both are as high in design and looks as any iPad and any Android Tablet I have seen. Picking up my Nexus 7 now, it feels like a toy. Grabbing an iPad and I feel restricted. Network connectivity, printer support, USB access, the kick stand, the touch and type keyboard. The product ( besides very limited touch friendly software ) has really been thought through.

All I'm trying to say is when someone asks me which tablet is best and they want my opion ( and yes, it's just that ) I would find it hard to recommend anything else. The iPad will always beat it in touch friendly application count and availablity but besides that I'd really struggle to find any other reason to recommend it unless you were very tied into Apples Ecosystem already.

anyway, off topic but I just wanted to highlight some pros and cons of the Surface.

Last edited:

pezley

Also, on another quick note. 'Best' is very subjective.
If I want 10 hour battery life the Surface Pro is never going to acheive that, it's not even in the running. If I want a tablet with a wacom digitizer to use for graphic design then the iPad is out of that one. There is no such thing as best but more what is suited and someones opinion

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Actually don't get the dislike of the surface. From a technical stand point it's head and shoulder above anything else out there. I have owned an iPad, Nexus 7, Surface RT and now a Surface Pro so my opinion is from experence.

The issue with the Surface isn't whether it's any good or not - it is very good.

The issue is whether Microsoft have clearly identified the market for it and pitched it right - IMHO they haven't. It is all well and good to supercharge the functionality and performance but it is for nought if the majority of tablet users are just using it to surf the web and play angry birds and thus don't see the difference.

As a result, at the moment, the Surface hasn't really been a success despite a huge marketing campaign.

I

I Spiritus I

Another Surface RT owner here :hiya:. Great piece of kit and does what I want it to do. Works perfectly with my Windows 8 PC and Windows 8 Phone.

All I'm trying to say is when someone asks me which tablet is best and they want my opion ( and yes, it's just that ) I would find it hard to recommend anything else. The iPad will always beat it in touch friendly application count and availablity but besides that I'd really struggle to find any other reason to recommend it unless you were very tied into Apples Ecosystem already.

anyway, off topic but I just wanted to highlight some pros and cons of the Surface.

I agree with your post re hardware, but I don't agree with recommendations re a "best" tablet when asked, because there's no such thing.

Different people have different needs and what's best for me, is worst for you.

It all (and this applies to any piece of tech) depends on what you "need" or "want" to do with it.

I don't need MS Office, USB, memory stick, printers etc out of a tablet and the iPad suits me perfectly (along with my Macbook Pro and my iPhone), so it all becomes very subjective.

Otherwise, great post! :D

zt1903

Distinguished Member
I agree with your post re hardware, but I don't agree with recommendations re a "best" tablet when asked, because there's no such thing.

Different people have different needs and what's best for me, is worst for you.

It all (and this applies to any piece of tech) depends on what you "need" or "want" to do with it.

I don't need MS Office, USB, memory stick, printers etc out of a tablet and the iPad suits me perfectly (along with my Macbook Pro and my iPhone), so it all becomes very subjective.

Otherwise, great post! :D

Apple fanboy :p

Det

Distinguished Member

Boozehound

Banned
Doesn't surpruse me in the slightest that she's hated, most HR managers are.... and deservedly so in a lot of cases.

Doesn't surpruse me in the slightest that she's hated, most HR managers are.... and deservedly so in a lot of cases.

When I was in the corporate world, I worked for a firm that introduced this system and it is simply hateful.

It was originally called the "Bell Curve", because the shape of a bell (narrow at top/wide at bottom) allows you to put your rating in (so 1s at the narrow top and 5s at the wider bottom).

It is simply the most unjust way of benchmarking people and does nothing but demotivate people.

I managed a team of 10 people and the way it worked was I would rate them (being that I had worked with them for the previous 6 months), this would then go to my boss for "review" and then he would have to take it into a "Levelling" meeting, where the numbers of 1s and 5s had to be "evened out". :rolleyes:

So some monkey manager in an ivory tower, who wouldn't know me or my team if we jumped up and bit him/her on the arse, would simply wave a pen and demote high perfomers as "There are already too many 1s". :mad:

Like I said, simply the most hateful thing ever introduced and (IMO) a schemed designed to reduce the potential of pay rises and push people out of the business.

Horrible, horrible system. :thumbsdow

Det

Distinguished Member
When I was in the corporate world, I worked for a firm that introduced this system and it is simply hateful.

It was originally called the "Bell Curve", because the shape of a bell (narrow at top/wide at bottom) allows you to put your rating in (so 1s at the narrow top and 5s at the wider bottom).

It is simply the most unjust way of benchmarking people and does nothing but demotivate people.

I managed a team of 10 people and the way it worked was I would rate them (being that I had worked with them for the previous 6 months), this would then go to my boss for "review" and then he would have to take it into a "Levelling" meeting, where the numbers of 1s and 5s had to be "evened out". :rolleyes:

So some monkey manager in an ivory tower, who wouldn't know me or my team if we jumped up and bit him/her on the arse, would simply wave a pen and demote high perfomers as "There are already too many 1s". :mad:

Like I said, simply the most hateful thing ever introduced and (IMO) a schemed designed to reduce the potential of pay rises and push people out of the business.

Sounds like motivation for XB1 employees to me :suicide:

Hopefully they eventually see that this kind of stress brings about bad results... like no start button, DRM pushed, insert thing you don't like here that gets reversed after moaning from the community towards MS decisions...

I wouldn't last there long... after the first one I'd be looking for another job elsewhere and use that as the reason for leaving the job so soon.

kav

Distinguished Member
I've worked in quite a few multinational organisations, and all of them use variations on this, using bell curves and moderation processes to balance out the number of high medium and low ratings. It's utterly ridiculous. I don't know why they go through the farce of doing performance reviews etc, as the whole lot is redundant when it comes to the moderation process. I firmly believe it is one of the most destructive, morale-depleting approaches to managing people that exists, and instead of acting as an incentive to spur employees on, it invariably reduces people to bitter, angry shells of the people they once were.

There are a small number of people who are good at playing the system, but overall it is a disastrous way to manage personnel, in my experience.

Det

Distinguished Member
Makes you miss the good ol days of "if you're doing a bad job, you're fired" and "if you're doing a good job, here's a promotion/raise/bonus"... though it lends to a lot of asskissing and backstabbing.

So I think a good balance between the two is the best. And if you get a bad review, just read "Who Moved My Cheese?!" and pretend it's going to be all better!

EDIT: I would hate to be the guy who has to drop people down to a 5 because I have too many 1's, even if my entire team is amazeballs.

majnu

Sephiro

Julie Larson-Green was one of the main people behind the move to the ribbon interface in Office 2007 and also the Metro interface in Windows 8 which both weren't exactly popular so I'm not really sure she is the right person to take the Xbox arm of the business forward, but time will tell I guess.

zt1903

Distinguished Member

Yep, been there, done that :mad:

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Julie Larson-Green was one of the main people behind the move to the ribbon interface in Office 2007 and also the Metro interface in Windows 8 which both weren't exactly popular so I'm not really sure she is the right person to take the Xbox arm of the business forward, but time will tell I guess.

Well, I love the ribbon.

Sephiro

I'm not sure the average user in most of the companies I've worked for would agree on the "intuitive" nature of the ribbon given that you have to mouse over a lot of the individual icons to find out what they actually do. I don't personally have any problems using it myself but the cynic in me says that it wasn't really an improvement in usability and was more to do with making it look nice for the sales team to help combat stagnating sales of the Office suite.

turk3y

Office sales team? Do they need it? All they do is pump a new office product out and say you need the new exchange that's slightly better and you have pretty much zero choice in upgrading.

Who wants the ribbon? Enterprise does want secure stable scalable mail tho and outlook is part of office thus to upgrade mail you upgrade the lot, job done 99% of annual sales sorted there, then just the last few sales from the public who somehow have not managed to copy the corporate install files.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett