1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrox graphic cards

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Madders, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi, I just wondered what peoples thoughts are on these cards specifically the P650 and above. I see that it supports the native resolution of my Panny 6 plasma but wondered how the picture quality rates compared with the more popular cards. I've been reading some posts on the AVS Forums but thought I would try here. I would only be using it for dvd, sky viewing so no gaming.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,

Steve

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My experience of Matrox cards is that the quality of the video per se doesn't differ from ATIs or nVidias .. they can't compete for 3D gaming but that's not relevent for HTPC usage.

The BIG difference comes in the ATI's hardware MPEG decoding, which is generally considered to be the best. I did have a Matrox (450 IIRC) for a short time and DVD playback was definitely better on my ATI 7500, let alone a 9600. Unless the P650 has a vastly better decoder then I don't think it'll compare.

As for resolution, Powerstrip works with most popular cards, knows ATIs intimately and will allow you to achieve 1:1 mapping with pretty much every display device around.

3. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks for the reply, with regard to resolution, the native res of my plasma is 852x480 something that can't be done by the main cards (can only get to either 848x480 or 856x480) due to the 8 bit pixel clock of these cards. I think the Matrox can show 852x480 but wondered if it is behind in the image quality stakes?

Cheers,

Steve

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah right, now I think I remember seeing discussions about this problem, luckily it's not something I've needed to worry about.

In that case then I'd think the ability to get 1:1 mapping would far outweight the decoding quality difference .. anything that bypasses a built-in scaler generally is to be preferred. :)