1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrix!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Harj, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Overrated or not?

I think it is massivly. Crap plot we all agree, a few good acton sequences, i got this disc as the 1st one to realy show the capabilities of dvd, (a couple of years ago i think). Then i used to put in after some system tweaks, straight to the action bits. Now i dont touch, i think i 've seen the film twice in its entirety ( at cinmea and 1st dvd viewing).

But over tine it alwasys shows a good plot can handle the test of time, The M's stinks, full of holes, making this one long mtv video, IMHO., too mtv stylistic appealing to 'try too hard to be cool' gen ie black and black!, the syallistic violence. Blah blah..

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,557
    over rated..VERY average...one of the first DVD's i bought, only watched it twice in 2 and bit years.....nuff said.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Some hole in it but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nice sigh off Norrin Radd.

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    What am I reading?
    The Matrix getting panned!!!!

I watch it at least once a month as it's (IMHO) one of the finest action movies of all time (right up there with Die Hard and T2).

Great sound and fantastic image make this one of the best DVD's in my collection.

I can under stand why some people don't like it, but to come out some three years after it's release and pan it is very strange!
    Where the hell have you been m8? On another planet or have you just got free of the Matrix yourself :D

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO

Good eye candy, pretty good sound, the rest (plot, dialogue, etc....) not so good.

6. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ?????

:eek:

I'm not a big fan of the film, but I don't think it is one of the worse in recent years (qv Battlefield Earth).

7. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too used to dislike this movie, but if you just look beyond how poorly its ideas are executed (read: the shoddy plotting), you can't help but respect its audacity. As laughable as it may seem there are some very learned people behind this film, and although the existentialist ideals don't blend so well with the comic book dialogue and the fact that the whole film plays like propoganda about how "computers really are kinda cool, huh kids?" Sift thru the crap and there is more substance here than in many indy movies, and it has a style that remains distinctive, among all other movies, even its many imitations. And what's more, stupid as it may seem, it looks f***ing cool. ;)

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its great for mindless entertainment......and anyone who dont like seeing carrie ann moss in an outfit that tight is definitely female.....

ad

9. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

and Blind and/or gay.

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just watch 'DARK CITY'. That's where the plot came from. I've said that three times, so that's enough.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Name any action movie (no matter if it's Sci-Fi or present time) which is truly believable, has a great plot or superb characters?

I couldn't come up with one and rate The Matrix on par with no-brainers like The Rock or Face/Off. Nothing to think about but great fun to watch.

12. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    A friend told me that a couple of years ago and insisted on making me sit through his VHS Dark City. I found it really dull. Give the Matrix any day - reused plot ideas or not.

Show me a film that doesn't have reused plot elements. Even Star Wars was a rehash of Flash Gordon and Tarzan with Dambusters, Laurel & Hardy and probably a few others thrown in.

I totally agree with Reiner.

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,557
    well nobody has ever asked this question, while i've been on this board....

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    No we certainly don't.
    I really like the Matrix. You can take the plot superficially if you like - in which case it's familiar. Machines get smart and take over the world oppressing humans. Same as T3, for example. Certainly NOT the same as Dark City (which has some similarities but has far less rewarding hero character development).
    But if you look deeper there are sub plots which make the movie excellent. There's Trinity who the Oracle has told will fall in love with 'the one'. She finds it hard to believe Neo is the one because of this. And hence there are several moments in the film where she acts in certain ways. And finally accepts her own feelings at the climax of the film.
    There's the Oracle who tells people not the truth but what they need to hear to get 'the job' done. She has told Morpheus that he will find 'the one' and his 100% faith in her drives him to look for 'the one' for years. He sacrifices himself to save Neo. Even at the end when Neo is shot he says 'can't be' in disbelief.
    And Neo's inability to accept the magnitude of what he is is handled by the Oracle by telling him he isn't 'the one' and letting him discover his own abilities and destiny. He can't handle Morpheus' sacrifice and takes an important step in going to save him.
    Compare The Matrix with The One. In The One, the entire background is explained with text at the start of the movie. BANG. Here is is - accept it or not. NOT. For me the plot of the Matrix is not quite as wild, but it's infinitely easier to accept and get involved with because of the way it develops.
    Yes there are some great rewind moments, but there is far more to the movie than just eye candy. Infact having seen more martial arts movies, I'd say that Fist of Legend, for example, makes The Matrix's fight scenes look like disco dancing.
    But the film remains subtly clever and powerful non the less.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember everybody, all the fighting was done by the real actors, not stunt doubles! On a whole one of my top 5 fav' films!

16. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Pretty much the same as Spectre said, OK it may not be a trully brain inspiring plot, but come on what other action/blockbuster films make any attempt at a plot that's even remotely challenging ? Let's face it anyone producing a film with these costs for special effects has to attempt to appeal to the whole world (from US to Outer Mongolia), so the plot has to be slightly simplified.

You have to take the Matrix as what it is, which is a Hollywood blockbuster, which when compared with other garbage from Hollywood has a failry reasonable plot, or would someone like to argue that the plots for Titanic, pearl Harbour or Harry Potter are better ??

Or how about comparing it with other US Sci-Fi films ? Someone already mentioned BattleField Earth, or how about pitch black, or let's face T2, basically a re-write of T1 in my opinion.

I loved the film, and to be honest part of that is probably because I somehow missed out all the hype before I saw it, and somehow got it mixed up with that truly awful Johnny Mnemonic film, and was pleasantly surprised.

Let's at least save the slating for films that really deserve it.

17. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I thought it was an excellent film personally; I bought it solely because I thought the story sounded intriguing – I've never put it on just as a demonstration of my systems' abilities.
    mark

18. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Actually I don't have a copy of The Matrix on DVD - it's the first DVD to be worn out to distruction.

19. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not a lot to add to what people have already said. It is my most played DVD, great for watching after you come back from the pub. It has a slightly slow middle section but other than that, a great action movie that makes you think a bit too (see Spectres comments). For me, it is up there with Die Hard, T2 and Con Air as my favourite no-brainers. Given that it must be a couple of years old now, it has stood the test of time well too. You can also see it's influence in many other films since plus videogames like Max Payne.

I also agree that this is a stange time to pan the film. Guess you are just trying to be controversial.

20. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, "The Matrix" owes more to1978 sci-fi film "Welcome To Blood City" than "Dark City". IMHO

21. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I like it, and it is the most watched DVD in my collection.
    Dave.

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    T1 seemed to have drawn its inspiration from two of the original The Outer Limits episodes "Demon With a Glass Hand" and "Soldier".

23. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The matrix is actually one of the more beleivable sci-fi films.....at a quick think, almost all of the material is plausable. So there cant be any arguements about the film being way too far out and not beleivable! Especially coming from anyone who likes Star wars/ star trek!

ad

24. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So, er... why can't Star Wars and Star Trek be plausible?

Not to be awkward or arguementative, but I take it from this statement that you've travelled a few hundred years into the future and know that it will not by any stretch of the imagination be anything like Star Trek, with space travel, new technology and that kind of thing?

And you've also been in the past, to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away to know that there's nothing else going on at all anywhere else. Heck, Star Wars could almost be a docudrama for all we know.

Disclaimer: I'm not defending anything in either 'Star' franchise.

25. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You want me to get technical!?

Matrix is talking about interfacing between the brain and a machine......which can already be done. The idea of not being limited within such an interface is well known, albeit in a more natural form called a livid dream. The sorts of technology, emp, super hovercraft, those cool machines, are all very real to a lesser extent in our current position.

Now lets look at star trek.....big thing.....warp speed. It CANT happen! It wont happen, it never can have happened! It breaks one of the most fundamental laws known to man! To travel to the nearest star, even at the fastest physically possible speeds, would take many years. It takes light many hundreds of years to travel interstaellar distances. Think another minor point.....you accelerate in your car and u feel a force on you. Imagine acceerating like star trek or star wars. You accelerate over a million times more just to reach the speed of light, to get to a (impossible) speed that could get you to stars would be many billions of times more......basically you would be splattered all over the show. Transporters......require matter existing in 2 places at once, therefore cannot happen......I could go on!

Basically any space travel story is crap......well most of them.....anything that goes faster than light i ficticious and always will be!

Anyone fancy an educated response? :p

Ad

26. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Physicist vs. Philosopher...

Anythin's possible.

27. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Star Wars was never meant to be scientifically accurate: it is fantasy, not science fiction.

I am not exactly a Trekkie, but as I understand it all the points buns raises have been explained by the Star Trek writers.

The ships do NOT actually travel at light speed in the way you are suggesting buns, instead they travel through subspace, which is a theory that is compatible with the einstien and newton laws.

Also the ships are fitted with inertial dampening systems which counter the G-force when the ships go to warp.

Personally I prefer the Jump-Gate theories used in Babylon 5 (and many ohter places).

I am starting to sound like a tekkie nerd now so I had better shut up!!:eek:

Lex.

Oh and on the subject of the Matrix - whether you like the film or not there is no denying the impact it has had on modern culture. Everybody out there seems to have been influenced by its story/style/special effects.

28. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lex... :eek: and you think you know people, then you find these sorts of things out about them...

Shocking!

I really should go to bed now.

29. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't 2 Caltech scientists just proved that teleportation is possible by "transporting a "photon" from one end of their lab to the other? Read it here

Steve:devil:

30. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    No acton movie should be completely beleivable, im a fan of the genere amongst others from Kung Fu to Hollywood blockbusters, its just I find the Matrix well...boring, i rember feeling underwhelmed at the cinema, i also know that movies do grow on u in time (men In black), but not the Matrix, and why anyone would want to shell out more money for another special featues disc is beyond me, looks good on the bookshlef maybe?