Matrix switch

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by palmese85, May 14, 2019.

1. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some help. So I’m looking to add a matrix switch to my existing system. And then something to control it. All the a/v professional are recommending control 4 or Altona switches. And control 4 for the ultimate control. Not looking to spend that much $$$. So can I do this with a less pricier switch. I found a company call bright link AV. They have similar switches for half the cost. And utilize a Harmony remote system. I’m willing to do a control 4. But need to cut cost somewhere. I’m looking for a4x4 or 6x6 switch to be incorporated into my Yamaha rx 3040 a/v receiver with 9 speakers and sonos , With 4 tv’s and 5 input sources. Please help and how can this be done. Thanks.

2. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,168
    I am guessing you are one of our North American brothers given that you are getting lots of C4 advice.
    Could I suggest that it would be helpful, for people trying to provide advice, if you gave us some sort of budget range to work with. Also does it need to be 4K, DV, HDR10 etc. The more info the better. Lots of hardware, lots of solutions. Thanks

3. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I’m sorry. So I was getting quoted 13/15k. Which I do not want to spend. I’m hoping a thousand on a switch and thousand on the control. But just don’t what my options are. The switches from brightlink AV were ranging from 1k-2,500. They had 4K hdr etc. Depending on what size. I do want all the updated features but it’s not a deal breaker if I don’t have it all. Hope that helps.

4. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plus. I m just learning about these switches. So. Honestly my goal is to take 4 tv’s, be able to play anything on it from my sources. And be able to control with it. And the a/v receiver providing the sound.

5. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,168
    I am going to let @Joe Fernand advise on this one as he is the resident AVF expert at all things Video Matrix. I think that he can point you in a much more cost effective direction.

6. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    First question has to be 'Do you require a Matrix?"

In the residential market it can quickly look very expensive to install a reliable Matrix and Control system to share one or two Source devices when you could potentially arrive at a more flexible and cost effective solution with 'local' Source devices.

AVR's are not a great 'Hub' and many of those which offer multi-zone audio/video come with a lot of limitations in terms of what you can listen to, where and in which format.

Outline what you want to achieve in each Room/Zone in terms of what you wish to view and listen to, how many consecutive users, what kit you already have and what are your AV/Programming skills like?

Installers stick with Matrix and Control brands they know are reliable for good reason!

Joe

8. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Joe. So. Basically I have 4 TVs that I want to be able to put whatever on it from my source inputs. The one tv will be outside. the rest is in my basement. I have 5 source inputs Right now I have. A Yamaha receiver rx a3040 that is able to control two tv’s and my 5 inputs. Broken up into two zones. I want that bar like atmosphere without big cost if possible. I just need to really figure out how to tie it together with a switch matrix.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    So you are creating a 'Sports Bar' with 3-TV's in the basement plus the single 'outdoor' screen.

AVR - are the two zones (A+B) in the Sports Bar or is it the Sports Bar (A+B) plus a third Zone (C) the Outdoor Screen?

AVR - are all 'Zones' Stereo or is one to be multi-channel?

Control - do you need to tie everything together vs. using individual remotes?

Outdoor screen - how long is the cable run going to be?

Source devices - do you require five Sources and what are the Source devices you are working with?

Joe

10. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe.
    The avr. Is the Yamaha rx a3040. It has two independent hdmi zones. And has three total stereo zones. There is a forth but I believe I need another amp to control that. Pre amp output. The two zones right now are my theatre area with a 7.1 linked up to it. The second done is my bar tv that has 2.0 linked up to that. I have a third tv in the bar. The area is somewhat open in my basement. So all three TVs in that area can be seen. Then a outdoor tv. Speakers I use for the outdoor TVs are from the tv or from the Sonos amp I have two speakers outside ran to a Sonos amp. The second tv in the bar is working off a cable box off its own stereo speakers. I would like to be able to control through a harmony remote. But am willing to use independent remotes.
    The cable rim to the outdoor tv is ran by cat 6 with hdmi converters on each end. I’m think I can use a matrix switch. But how do I tie this all together. Thanks.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Current system - how does the system work in terms of viewing/listening to the same Source in multiple Zones, does the audio stay in sync and does having the same Source selected in the secondary Zones force the Source to default to 2.0 audio?

Sources - do you require all Sources in all Zones and do all Sources have to be available in 'party mode' (all Zones viewing the same source)?

Control - what level of 'integrated' control are you aiming for? Routing Source to Zone is one thing, taking Control of multiple Sources and a complete multi-zone system is very different.

AVR - have you tried using the Yamaha Control App via a Tablet?

Joe

12. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe.
    Yes. With the way it works now. Each zone is independent. Only two video hdmi, And can play different sources at the same time. With their respected audio. Or I can can play the same thing on both hdmi and put it in party mode where there is sync with the sound. That work with the three zones that can supply music also.

With control. I’m open to anything. But want to keep it cost effective. Harmony remote. Or independent remotes is fine.

Listen. I’m just trying to add two TVs to a avr receiver that only takes a total of two. I believe there is a way to add a switch. Keep my existing setup with the speakers. And add those two TVs. Is that possible. Without getting too complicated.

13. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I use the Yamaha control app now. For my existing system- two TVs. Two zones. 7.1 and 2.0. Party it all together 9.0.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Adding two additional TV’s on the Output side of the AVR is very simple if you simply want TV3 to mirror Zone/TV1 and TV4 to mirror Zone/TV2.

It gets a whole lot more complex if you want to add a five Input, four Zone Matrix ahead of the AVR to give you four independent Outputs plus full control of the system - that is why Installers have been quoting you $$$$

Assuming you leave Zone/TV1 and Zone/TV2 ‘as is’ - what do you need to ‘see’ on TV3 and TV4?

Joe

15. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I do t want to mirror. I want it to be independent. The reason installers are charging me big bucks is because. They are recommending hi end switches and control systems. What I’m asking you or whoever on this forum. Is how to hook up a switch that I will buy. To my avr receiver. Joe you have been great. But your telling me things I already know. I know Yamaha has a app. I know I can mirror things. I’m
    Asking you or anyone out there how can. I achieve the hookup with the switch. I know it can be done Maybe leaving one tv on the output of my avr receiver and the somehow using the other output going into the switch I don’t know. This is what I need to know. Maybe connecting the audio through optical from the receiver to the switch on the output of the TVs I want. I’m trying to find this out. . The question again is I’m going to buy a switch. 4x4 or 8x8. Whatever. How can I incorporate a avr receiver with a switch. 4tvs total. With 4or5 input sources. The avr can be used for one tv or whatever. Thanks.

16. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can control it by a lot of controls or maybe a harmony. But. Not my first concern. First is the hook up. Then second is the fancy control.

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    'I know it can be done Maybe leaving one tv on the output of my avr receiver and the somehow using the other output going into the switch I don’t know' - make your mind up :)

Assuming, and it is a huge assumption, that all Matrix are created equal you would connect all of your Source devices to the Input side of the Matrix then connect two of the Matrix Outputs to Inputs on the AVR (with TV1 and TV2 connected to the AVR Outputs) and the other Outputs of the Matrix direct to TV3 and TV4.

Joe

18. palmese85

palmese85
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe. I’m not undecided. I don’t know.!!! I’m asking how this can be done to save me$$$$$. Isn’t that what a forum is for - to trade info or to learn off each other. Or better yet to help. I appreciate your effort.

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    See post #17 for the connectivity - no mater which Matrix you employ. The trick now is figuring out which Matrix will deliver the most seamless switching and routing for you.

Matrix can vary a lot when it comes to HDCP and EDID management - often the lower cost kit will be far from seamless when you start to change Source to Display routing, which you can possibly live with if it means saving $$$.

Joe

20. Hookitup

Hookitup
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3