matrix reloaded r1 vs r2 and freddy vs jason r1 vs r2 or 3

7 of 9

Standard Member
Reaction score
iv read the r2 dvd times review of the matrix reloaded and they say the r2 pal version is much sharper than the r1 ntsc version is this true?

and is the dts soundtrack on the r2 and r3 freddy vs jason and the picture quality better than the dolby digital version on the r1 which i have.

thanks from 7 of 9here is a dvd times matix reloaded r2 pal review link http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5893

R2 PAL picture will have the advantage over the NTSC as PAL has more lines than NTSC. So if the source was the same the PAL would look better.

PAL has more lines does not always equate better picture quality theres so much more to take into account than just lines, the source could be identical and most people would be hard pushed to tell the difference between a damn good NTSC version and a PAL version.

And aren't PAL versions prone to flicker more than NTSC? I find that the over-riding rule is that differences will be mainly due to the source and mastering process, as I have found very little difference in picture quality between NTSC and PAL in the real world.

I think it depends on what you watching the DVD on. On my old 50in rear projection set there wasn't really any noticable difference. But since moving to 92" diag projection I've found that the extra 100 lines PAL gives makes a huge diffrence to the quality. The difference is sufficiently pronounced that I'm in the process of replacing all my R1 discs with R2 where possible...

John.

PS - Flicker isn't an issue.

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
PAL has more lines does not always equate better picture quality theres so much more to take into account than just lines, the source could be identical and most people would be hard pushed to tell the difference between a damn good NTSC version and a PAL version.
The only obvious visual difference to me are the oft seen ringing halos of Edge Enhancment on NTSC DVDs,

At least the aweful 3:2 pull-down judder can be cured with a decent scaler frame converting to 48Hz or 72Hz.

Don't get me wrong, I buy just as many R1 DVDs as R2s but EE is horrible and unnecessary. In fact just watched "Lost In Translation" at 48Hz and there weren't halos. :)

StooMonster

You can read THX1138's review of the R1 Matrix Reloaded on the TotalDVD web site here and the Freddy Vs Jason R1 review here or in the reviews section here on the forums.

It's interesesting - I've sold all my R2 DVDs and replaced them with NTSC DVDs! My reasoning was that Pal speedup was much more of an issue than picture quality as progressive scan should improve NTSC nicely, whereas you're stuck with the speed up issue no matter what!

Sigs

Are you actually saying that you've found the speed up noticeable?

John.

Originally posted by JohnWH

John.

Yes, I sometimes notice Pal speedup - and it's certainly more of an influence on me than 99% of picture issues! If you have a daughter of of 32 months who enjoys watching The Wizard of Oz, Monster's Inc., Shrek or Toy Story 1/2 two or three times a day you gradually pick up on subtle differences. I can now recognize most of the time when things don't look quite right, or sound right, in movies I'm watching for the first time. A classic example of this is The Wizard of Oz - before I'd ever seen the R1 version I always thought that the Munchkins had annoyingly high pitched voices and the Scarecrow really bugged me as he almost collapsed to the floor to be picked up by Dorothy. I was never really sure why it bugged me - until I saw the R1 version. I immediately realised that my dislike of Scarecrow's mannerisms were due to him moving too fast.

I could go on, but I don't think this is really the right forum for this discussion - it should be taking place in DVDTalk, I think ;)

Suffice to say - I do recognize Pal speedup, but I accept in this regard I may be a little odd :rotfl:

Sigs

Guess its just one of those things that some are more sensitive to. If you're on a large screen I'd be surprised if you don't notice the loss of detail on R1 source, but again I guess it comes down to personal preference, I don't generally notice any pitch shift so I go for the sharper image.

Later,
John.

Anyone know if the Japanese or Korean versions of Freddy vs Jason are cut or censored in any way ?

I want a version with DTS sound but also an uncut version.

Originally posted by JohnWH

John.

Same here, I dont buy any films that are pal anymore, also I use progressive scan NTSC, as others.

I find speedup very noticable, especially with actors deep voices.

Add me to the funny farm aswell :smoke:

Spoony.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom