1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrix Reloaded...Excuse my Ignorance!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by WBC, Oct 26, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my Ignorance......................

I have just ejected the DVD from my player and have come straight up to start a thread on this very film.

I can honestly say this has to be the worst movie I have laid my eyes on in a VERY long time, Utter, Utter, Utter tripe!!!!! (Wasn't even worth the £1.99 rental cost).

Now I am very open minded when watching movies and I like to give everything the benefit of the doubt. I enjoyed the first one but this was more tedious than almost anything I have ever watched (only thing to beat it was Six Degrees of Seperation!)

There are supposed to be considerable plot holes in this film so my question is, would the animatrix and another viewing change my views???????

Stace :D

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Was it the first time you saw it??
    check the thread 5 topics down and you'll see that it might happen the first time. It certainly wasn't utter tripe. I t may not have lived up to the hype (I still think it did) but certainly iusn't a bad film. you want bad film: check out Not another teen movie.

TBH it is difficult to answer that last question, yes animatrix adds a bit to it, about that harresing boy and the osiris. but to really answer your questions or add comments you'd have to be a bit more specific;)

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I agree with you Stace. I thought it was rubbish, dressed up with Laurence Fishburnes babbling that could rival Donald Rumsfeld or George Bush for it's inanity. But then my view is skewed because i've worshipped at the alter that is "The Matrix" for a good 3 years now. :)

4. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid I don't have any specifics.......I just thought the animatrix might open up more of the story to get my interest back.

I felt the movie was drawn out, overblown and didn't offer anything more than long winded, revamped fight scenes from the first film.

Special effects were great but it just seemed like one big trailer.

Perhaps I expected too much?????

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The thing that got me about "Matrix Reloaded" is rather than pushing the film along and keeping you in that "world" most of the fight scenes paradoxically slowed the film down. In terms of plot, the whole "freeway" scene completely changed the film's direction and slowed it down. To me it didn't seem like it could make it's mind up where it wanted to go. Take the red pill and become a philospohical drama, or take the blue pill and become an all out action movie. Unfortunately it did both, and rather poorly, especially as most of the dialogue seemed ad-lib and was really utter nonsense for the most part.

EDIT: The "Animatrix" is really superb, and rivals most of the original "Matrix" for the most part. Each story is deeply interesting and really draws you into the imagination and depth behind the franchise.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stace - I take it you completely ignored the endlessley fascinating and implicative dialogue and body language litterred throughout the movie then?

It is - to those with minds that see beyond 'surface' action - a truly excellent film in every sense.

I can't praise it highly enough, thoroughly entertaining.

7. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so am I the only one to like it??

oh well.

8. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It wasn't as good as the original but that was a classic and would be hard to better anyway. It does seem to get better the more you watch it.

Its one of the few films that I actually watched the "making of" bits on the DVD. I found that really interesting and I was surprised to find out that Carrie-Ann Moss actually rode that motorcycle in the chase scene.

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    No doubt i'll still buy the trilogy box-set next year even if "Revolutions" is amazing or dire. :)

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    MR is simply the best example of gee-whiz effects over content one can imagine. :D

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Excuse me for being so vociferous on this subject, but i think all the "Matrix" movies suffer from "Star Wars" syndrome. That is, no matter how good the sequels are they could never be bettered by the original. Or the fans will always berrate everything that comes after it no matter what for minor inconsistencies etc

12. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    like i said in my thread ealier on,on first viewings i didnt really like the film,only the action,then i watched ita few times at home and its much much better every time i watch it,matrix is on five now,just visiting the oracle.:zonked:

13. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No i liked it too :smashin:

More second time round

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,478
    I liked it more the second time when you know what to expect i.e. don’t bother watching till the dancing finishes.:D

15. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +57
    Do you mean, 'No matter how good the sequels are, they could never be better THAN the original'?
    That's how I see it anyhow.

16. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to see it on the big screen and was very disappointed,yet when I got the dvd and watched it at home I found it much better.
    Strange that,I also had the same with the Two Towers,found it dull on the big screen yet loved it when I got the dvd.
    I think sometimes the big screen is too big and there is so much going on it's difficult to catch some bits,I couldn't see anything but a big blur on some parts of Attack Of The Clones,though I dont know if that was a blessing!
    The second Matrix isn't as good as the first,thats for sure,but in it's own right it's not bad and I have sat through a lot worse for sure.

17. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Any chance of an example?

I just saw the film as a bunch of over-choreographed kung fu strung together by Fishbourne talking like Mr Bean. But I'm willing to look for this other stuff.

18. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy,

" It is - to those with minds that see beyond 'surface' action - a truly excellent film in every sense "

I sort of take offence at this statement, each to there own for sure but I try to dig as deep as possible when watching a movie and usually spend a fair amount of time thinking about its meaning after viewing.

As for 'implicative dialogue and body language' I'm thinking wooden!!!!

19. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of fanboys will tell you that if you didn't like Reloaded, then you obviously are too stupid to understand the primary school philosophy and sledgehammer-delivered plot. (I'm obviously paraphrasing ;) )

I thought it was complete trash with no redeeming features. Zero out of ten.

20. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Figrin_Dan, Azrikam

Guess you watched the same version as me!!!!!! :zonked:

21. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You "sort of take offence" - exemplifies my point really doesn't it :D

I agree with you that much of the delivery of "Dialogue & Body Language" was very much wooden, but - as with films like Star Wars & Lord Of The Rings - this is one of those films in which it really doesn't matter, so brilliant is the script.

22. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy,

I'll leave the personal bitchin alone thanks.

Point is, Film was Utter crap and apart from a few very minor moments, the script was written on the back of a fag packet!!!!!!!

It will NEVER be up there with the greats.

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy what are you on?! I'd love 100mg of it at the moment!

Reloaded is a bunch of amazingly average action set pieces bound together by some of the worst dialogue ever committed to film, the special effects were poor and the acting wooden.
    The stop/start pace of the film was also infuriating. First a fight, then we go and speak to someone before having another fight after which we shall go and speak to some other self-obsessed nob!! I have seen video game cut scenes that blow this film out of the water in terms of quality and direction.

The Animatrix shorts were vastly superior to this steaming pile of rotten crud!

24. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well the n you must ahv ewatched a different film than me. in some instances the SFX can be seen (trinity falling) but over all esp the chase is nearly perfect (as far as SFX go)

25. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you not watch the fight with Agent Smith then?! I've seen better graphics on the playstation. The fx on the freeway chase were excellent but that scene as a whole did nothing for me.

And sorry I should say that I meant 'Visual' effects.

26. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Thought this was one of the unmitigated turkeys of the year. Shared Games Guru's feelings about the action sequences bringing the narrative momentum to grinding halt. Was left with the feeling that these regular bursts of activity were tacked on because they would be expected by the fanboys, and damn the story.

Not only that, but the feeling of "Yawn! Seen all this before" was inescapable. Bullet time FX and Hong Kong style fighting are in danger of becoming cliched and rapidly dated, if they aren't already.

As for the "impicative dialogue" (ahem!), I would suggest that anyone finding depth and profundity in any of the pseudo-scientific/pseudo-mystical ramblings in this movie might find kindred philosophical rapprochment in the pronouncements of The Sphinx in the movie "Mystery Men".

27. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions":D

28. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite surprizing that so many people didn't like the movie.

I have to say when I left the movie theatre back in April I was painfully disappointed with it.

6 months later I've only just learned to appreciate it, I guess it's an aquired taste?

29. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Utter crap & fag packet.......:laugh:

Disapointed, Not as good as the first I could just about understand but how anyone could justify the above quote is beyond me if they liked the first movie at all. I myself didn't get the same rush as I did when I saw the Matrix but 9 times out of ten this is to be expected from a sequel.

You build up the your expectations, the hype surrounding the sequal of a movie that had such an impact is bound to be huge and if at every press release and interview they keep telling you its bigger and better you will begin to believe it.

At least now you will probably be very doubtfull that Revolutions will be any good so if at worst it is as good as reloaded you will probably hale it a triumph.

30. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if you like it or not,
    Im afraid

box office cash.
    fan base.
    dvd sales.
    Merchandise.
    and the amount of people who thought it was class

have already garandam ted that it IS up there with the greats.

But i soppose a few people, would not like the film. and inturn would need to speak up and state this fact
    hence this thred.

How the minority need to speak up and be heard!:)