Matrix Region 2 colour test

Pincho Paxton

Ex Member
Reaction score
People have argued with me that the Matrix region 2 was tinted green. I was fed up with the arguments, so I have grabbed the pallette from my computer. Computers have an accurate pallette, I have had about 5 graphic cards, and all have used the same pallette. I am a graphic artist, my job is to make graphics for computer games, my pallette has always matched whatever is shown on tv. This is my pallette test, and if you want to compare it with your own computer, then just load your Matrix disk into the computer, and take a look yourself.

On my picture you will see numbers.. they are Red,Green,Blue in that order. Colours go from 0, to 255....0,0,0 is black, 255,255,255 is white. For an image to have a green tint it needs the green middle number to be the highest number of all three.

My demonstration shows that The Matrix region 2 is tinted brown. Green gets very close to the red, but only overtakes it when something in the film has been painted green, like the middle picture in my example. So although the background in that example had green in it, the facial tint is still brown. In the following sequels to the Matrix the faces were even tinted green.

IN THE END I FOUND THAT THE MATRIX IS TINTED GREEN... SO IGNORE MOST OF THE SCREENSHOTS>

SOMETHING WAS SCREWED UP IN MY POWERDVD PLAYER.

Attachments

• Matrix Region 2.jpg
    Matrix Region 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 119
The movie was tinted GREEN, d'ya hear? G.R.E.E.N. Certainly at the cinema, and certainly on home formats. So the green makes other colours come out as browns, and makes skin tones,(obviously), unnatural. Doesn't change that fact that the scenes in the Matrix are tinted in G.R.E.E.N. Just check out the scene where Smith interrogates Neo, it's not B.R.O.W.N, it's G.R.E.E.N. I have crayons, if that'd help explain it better... :lesson:

The movie was tinted GREEN, d'ya hear? G.R.E.E.N. Certainly at the cinema, and certainly on home formats. So the green makes other colours come out as browns, and makes skin tones,(obviously), unnatural. Doesn't change that fact that the scenes in the Matrix are tinted in G.R.E.E.N. Just check out the scene where Smith interrogates Neo, it's not B.R.O.W.N, it's G.R.E.E.N. I have crayons, if that'd help explain it better... :lesson:

I'll post that exact scene, and I am betting that it is brown.

Ok.. so here is that scene, and it is very close to green.. maybe there is a green light in that room... but.. it still has more brown than green. I was looking at the scene, and also thinking that it looked green, but the suits that they are wearing, that look really, really green, are actually brown. You can't argue with the pallette.

Attachments

• Matrix Region 2 Test 2.jpg
    Matrix Region 2 Test 2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 101
You can't argue with the pallette.

Yes you can!
What size point sample are you using?
I could find a brown point sample (even with a 5x5 average) in a field of Green green grass.
Originaly I notice you used 3 night scenes where shadows are strong and colours are muted.

:lesson:
To be honest a point sample is pretty useless even with a large sample area. A green tint DOES NOT mean green has the highest RGB value in a sample. What it means is the RGB value for green is higher than it should be when compared to the original (Natural to our eyes) value.
This then gives the impression a green tinge to the scene. Our eyes are very sensitive, and even an increase in levels of as little as a couple of percent could give the impression of a tinge.

With a colour grading tool like Lustre you can apply a tint on a frame by frame or scene by scene basis, this is how they colour match and grade film for consistancy.

What matters is how our brain percieves an image overall. We see images not pixels, and if our brain percieves that the light in a room or someones skin or a wall has an even fractionaly higher saturatrion of a particular colour then we will percieve a tint, but it may not be the strongest colour in a sample.

Here endeth the lesson.

A green tint DOES NOT mean green has the highest RGB value in a sample. What it means is the RGB value for green is higher than it should be when compared to the original (Natural to our eyes) value.

I know, and that's why my sample of Neo's shirt is important. His shirt is white, but the pallette colour comes out as brown. I tested all areas, and the only green was the wall at the back of the room, and that wall might be painted green anyway. Besides, that room is the closest that the whole film gets to green, and it is not really the best place to take an average from. Look at the lights behind Trinity, they are brown, but should be white as well. You can't get much brighter than that.

The movie is actually tinted with two colour hues, green for all scenes that take place within the matrix and blue for everything that happens in the real world.

That's just what was hoped for, but the result from the film processing lost a lot of the green that was supposed to be in the movie.

I'd reply but I think it would be pointless to argue with someone who can't grasp simple concepts (like sampling a single pixel and saying his shirt is brown).

I'd reply but I think it would be pointless to argue with someone who can't grasp simple concepts (like sampling a single pixel and saying his shirt is brown).

Looks whiteish cream at the most beige too me... ;)

if you do a bit of googling you will find out more about the colouring in the matrix, i think if you start off on the rewind dvd region comparison site it has a link to another site and shows the colours

off the top of my head, they changed the colours from the original release of the matrix, in the box set release, so the colours matched better, and one thing i recall is one of the versions had a brown tinge and they made it more green, but it might have only been the R1 reissue/boxset version thats been corrected. if everyone samples from different versions of the matrix then you might find colour differences between them

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=403

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/the_matrix_.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-matrix-visual-comparison.html

You shouldn't reply with a false statement if you are a moderator. I sampled all of the pixels trying to find some green, in case I was wrong, and would look silly. I just found green on the back wall, and I even posted it. If you know anything about tint, you would be looking at the white in the film.

Looks whiteish cream at the most beige too me... ;)

Exactly

If we were women, we'd call it taupe.

Well taupe is brown as well, but much darker.

and one thing i recall is one of the versions had a brown tinge and they made it more green

All of the regions, but still.... Correct.

The following movies (Matrix Reloaded, and Revolutions) are green... well in the computer world anyway.

Or you could have looked at my review of the boxset on AV Play where I showed the original release vs the Ultimate Edition. :rolleyes:

20 hours of my life and no-one looked.................

You meant to stop pushing the cotton-bud, if there's resisitance. SERIOUSLY!! For someone that's supposed to work with graphics, you think they'd know that when a coloured filter is applied, it automatically alters the original colours. So the suits are brown? So what? Wouldn't a green filter over the top of the original colour, produce a brownish effect? Grabbing a pixel isn't proving anything, as like mentioned previously, I could zoom into the whitest white, and grab a brown, or a grey. Dosen't mean either is the intended colour. :rotfl:

Are you sure you're not The Red Baron? Idiot savant,(but without the savant part), that dwelled on the dvddebate.com,(R.I.P.), forums? It's uncanny...

Grabbing a pixel isn't proving anything, as like mentioned previously, I could zoom into the whitest white, and grab a brown, or a grey. Dosen't mean either is the intended colour. :rotfl:
I'd already gone over calibration, changing graphics card settings, Adobe gamma correction, DVD player manipulation (as DVD movies are generally overlays) in a previous thread. Did it do any good? Nope.......

Even The_Pauley was beside himself, but that's metaphorically speaking (or metaphysics possibly).

Or you could have looked at my review of the boxset on AV Play where I showed the original release vs the Ultimate Edition. :rolleyes:

20 hours of my life and no-one looked.................

LOL well I have just gone to take a look. Excellent job :)

I'd already gone over calibration, changing graphics card settings, Adobe gamma correction, DVD player manipulation (as DVD movies are generally overlays) in a previous thread. Did it do any good? Nope.......

Even The_Pauley was beside himself, but that's metaphorically speaking (or metaphysics possibly).

Yeah, but you forget that my computer can display white perfectly. I can grab white from lots of movies with no colour alteration from 255,255,255. Therfore I have a perfect pallette. No tint whatsoever. White is white, and therfore the white in The Matrix is deffinately brown. Why argue with your own eyes... what colour are the lights behind Trinity?

Do you really want me to go and grab a white image from a film to prove that my computer has perfect colour callibration?

You are not going to convince me of anything when I can see it with my own eyes.

You are not going to convince me of anything when I can see it with my own eyes.
No-one is going to - you're too narrow minded by half. And I forget nothing - so don't presume.

Do I want you to grab something? No, it proves absolutely nothing. White is white - but the white in the Matrix can't be brown (you've just said it's white). :)

Ignoring my tripping you up on your own English, but remember other factors - such as lighting, tints, shadows......

Even graphics artists know that, right ?

No-one is going to - you're too narrow minded by half. And I forget nothing - so don't presume.

Do I want you to grab something? No, it proves absolutely nothing. White is white - but the white in the Matrix can't be brown (you've just said it's white). :)

Ignoring my tripping you up on your own English, but remember other factors - such as lighting, tints, shadows......

Even graphics artists know that, right ?

I know that white is the brightest colour in The Matrix, and it comes out with a brown pallette. You are being precise now for once.
Lol.. even in your own review you have posted a brown picture above a green picture. Funny how our graphics cards produce the same colours isn't it?

http://avplay.avforums.com/index.php?showreview=6963

I feel like grabbing something... By the throat!!

I feel like grabbing something... By the throat!!
A hammer is much more effective :)

Right - here's Pincho's picture with his "pure white" line zoomed in, not quite pixel by pixel level, but just enough to show that I could click on the white line and get a khaki-green colour.

And shock horror - if I click on the "white" area, I get a result of 245,245,231,255 - Not 255,255......... You get the point.

And as for our graphics cards - that was grabbed about..........5 cards ago.

Attachments

• Matrix 2.jpg
    Matrix 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 50
I really don't want to get involved in this silly bickering (I read the other post where the OP discussed this the other day), but without any doubt The Matrix is GREEN

I thought this from the very first time I saw the film.

A hammer is much more effective :)

Right - here's Pincho's picture with his "pure white" line zoomed in, not quite pixel by pixel level, but just enough to show that I could click on the white line and get a khaki-green colour.

And shock horror - if I click on the "white" area, I get a result of 245,245,231,255 - Not 255,255......... You get the point.

And as for our graphics cards - that was grabbed about..........5 cards ago.

My lines aren't white.. I just brightened the matrix pallette that I last clicked on to produce the colour for the line, so that's why they are brown. Funny this is the first time that you have actually said that the Matrix is brown in a way.

5 cards ago... I suppose all of your browns have turned green since then.

Nobody has posted proof that The Matrix is green yet, and if they do they will probably cheat anyway. Fraps is free.

My lines aren't white.. I just brightened the matrix pallette, so that's why they are brown. Funny this is the first time that you have actually said that the Matrix is brown in a way.
WHERE have I said it's BROWN? I've said your white line is khaki-green???

You do read what is typed? Or do you just assume and make it up as you go?

At the moment, you're coming across as a troll. The Matrix was green, the newer edition was more in line with the second and third movies. On the cinema screen it was green for the matrix, blue for the real world and - shock horror - it was here as well.

Maybe you should go to specsavers ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom