Matrix or Discrete?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JIT, Mar 11, 2002.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am considering a Marantz 6200 and was wondering if it was a 6.1 Matrix or Discrete and could someone please explain the difference?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't know about the Marantz (check their website) but the difference is like this:

Matrix - the information for the add. channel is stored in two other channels, for the center rear in the rear L&R channel (similar to DPL)

Discrete - the information of that add. channel is recorded and stored seperately - which requires a suitable decoder. Discrete means each channel is .. discrete!? ;)

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK, I've had a look at their website and the amp does offer six channels of discrete and equal amplification. Thanks for helping as I have now decided to buy this amp. I'll probably have a wait though because of the demand.

4. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Becareful JIT.

6 discrete channels of amplification DOES NOT mean dts 6.1 ES discrete decoding capabilities. It ONLY means the amp can power another speaker for the center rear and send information there.

My Sony is exactly the same. It can decode Matrix EX/ES, but I dont think it can decode dts ES discrete though.

See when a disc is dts 6.1 ES discrete, it is also ES Matrix at the same time. So your player will have sound coming through the centre rear speaker, but you wont know whether it is decoding the Matrix channel (hidden inside the 2 rear channels) OR if its actually doing the more complicated decoding of the discrete channel. You will not be able to 'hear' the difference.

You muist find out if the amp is dts ES discrete capable. You see most manufactures can 'matrix' decode a channel out of the 2 rears (and claim 6.1 decoding) the process is close to simple Dolby Pro Logic decoding. BUT if manufacturer wants their hardware to decode 'discrete' they have to pay dts for the componenet and the rights etc.

Hope I haven't confused you.

A 6 channel amp will play -
    Dolby 5.1 EX (matrixed centre rear extra channel)
    dts 5.1 ES Matrix (not many discs around like this)
    dts 6.1 ES discrete but you wont know if its playing the discrete track - or decoding the Matrix channel and pumping that through the centre rear).

If the machine has discrete capabilities it will usually have the new 'dts ES' logo on the front, rather than the old dts Surround logo.

Hope this is some help.

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Having looked at the Marantz site it does not mention DTS-ES but does say DTS 6.1 and DD 6.1 compatible so is this only Matrix and not Discrete?

Is there actually a big difference between Matrix/Discrete? ie would I really notice it?

6. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    There is quite a bit of difference between, with Discrete you get much more clarity/detail than with Matrix. The only drawback is lack of dvds currently the only ones of note are Gladiator R1, The Haunting R1, Seven R1 & R2, Chicken Run R1 and Rush Hour 2 R1.