Matrix or Discrete/DTS ES Matrix or Discrete

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bradavon, Dec 7, 2000.

1. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that the Region 2 of Gladiator is DTS ES 5.1 Matrix and the Region 1 is DTS ES 6.1 Discrete.

Which is better?

What is the difference between Matrix and Discfrete?

Which is better?

Thank You

Alex

2. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The DTS ES is proably better, but the recievers that have it are sky high and there may never be more than a few releases. Dreamworks is the only studio doing any ES. I think three titles so far, CHICKRN RUN, GLADIATOR, and THE HAUNTING. DTS ES is not a theatrical format. Dreamworks and DTS dreamed it up, I suppose? It's DTS's statement that our's is better than yours (DD EX).

The EX matrix system is a terrific rear enhancement. And, all 5.1 material DD and DTS can utilize it. Some discs are listed as EX, but for practical purposes, all 5.1 stuff is "EX". STAR WARS PHANTOM DENTIST LD is the benchmark of EX so far. But any noisey action movie will be enhanced. When I installed my Smart Jr. EX processor, the second disc I played thru it (first was SWPM) was the DTS LD of THE JACKAL, it was "EX" I found out. THE MATRIX DVD is great for EX too. Any 5.1 film with noisey side effects will benefit!

The Smart Jr. works by running your L AND R surround channels in, and out comes three channels, L, R, and centre surrounds. Several new recievers come with EX. Denon, Pioneer, Outlaw, and Onkyo come to mind. The Denon 4800 has EX only. The very expensive Denon 5800 has EX and DTS ES.

My oppinion is that EX is very useful. DTS ES may have a wee bit more wow, but only on a few titles. My Smart Jr. has a bypass mode, I have never preffered the rear centre off in an A/B comparisson. With EX the sounds that the side surrounds are trying to phantom behind you get their own speaker, which I find more effective. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

[This message has been edited by Rachael Bitchlist (edited 08-12-2000).]

3. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a comment... Have you seen the Denon AVR-3801 ? Not very expensive, and has all the goodies [​IMG]

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Rui, the 3801 has pre-outs for EX. It's a good sounding unit. Now, if Denon would learn how to make cool remotes....Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!