• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Matching up speakers/amp

nonsoloinglese

We all go through the decision making process of buying a system. We invest time in these great forums, magazines, demo rooms and finally come to a choice.

However what is the best way to match an AV amp with speakers on paper in order to narrow down the search?

neoELITE

Spend double on the speakers.

e.g. Speakers = £1000, Amp = £500

That's my rule of thumb if I hadn't bought a speakers/amp set.

It really depends what you are going to be using it for though.

For me, the fronts and centre are probably the most important speakers, then a sub, then the rears.

nonsoloinglese

I am setting up my kitchen and have put the KHT 8005 soundbar kit under the panel. Was going to put the Marantz NR1602 but the amp would be 50W and speakers 100W

(probably exposing my inexperience here)

neoELITE

I am setting up my kitchen and have put the KHT 8005 soundbar kit under the panel. Was going to put the Marantz NR1602 but the amp would be 50W and speakers 100W

(probably exposing my inexperience here)

That would be fine. The speakers should always be more powerful than the amp unless you are very careful and don't get tempted to crank up the volume. If you have a 100W amp with 50W speakers, you can damage the speakers quite easily.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That would be fine. The speakers should always be more powerful than the amp unless you are very careful and don't get tempted to crank up the volume. If you have a 100W amp with 50W speakers, you can damage the speakers quite easily.

I would disagree with this. It can be better to have the amp higher powered than the speakers. This is because you do not need to run the amp so hard which will give improvements in sound quality. Also since most amps (especially AVRs) are somewhat optimistic on the power claims, i.e. in normal use they will put nothing like the power they quote, then having the amp higher powered than the speakers will still not be a problem. Even if you did turn it up it is going to sound bad before you kill the speakers which should tell you to turn it down before damaging the speakers. Having an underpowered amp can cause clipping of the sound and this is a sure fire way of killing a speaker (probably more of a risk than turning it up too loud).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom