1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matching TV to Sony DVD

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by deeplyblue, Jun 9, 2005.

1. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There was a time when I thought that you just got a lead and linked your DVD player to your TV and that was that. Then I discovered that there's more than one type of SCART, and you have to know what sort you're using and tell your DVD. And then I heard the fateful word "Component", and then someone said, "he doesn't know his DVI-D from his DVI-I" and life got just too complicated.

So now I'm looking at from the other end, instead of asking, "What connections does the TV have?", I want to know, (a) what connections can I use? and (b) what other connections do I really need to keep future options open?

What I have is a Sony RDR-HX1000. (I chose it for the size of the hard drive). As far as I can tell from the handbook it has 2 SCART sockets - 1 of them goes out to the TV and the other is the input from the Freeview box. What sort of SCART they are, I don't know - I'm not even very clear on what sort of SCARTs there are, and how they are ranked. There appears also to be 1 S-video out and 1 Component video out and "Digital out (coax/optical)", according to the manual.

Judging by the DVI connectors on the backs of computers, it doesn't have one.

There's aforementioned Freeview box (Grundig - might get replaced) and an old VHS player (needed for hundreds of videos).

I don't have a Sky box, and don't expect to get one in the near future. Might get cable (since we already have cable broadband).

A computer connection is also in the future, but the near future. I want to see my Virtual Planetarium on widescreen, and am thinking kindly of a PVR in my next new computer.

So, guys - what connectors do I need on a TV? :confused:

db