Matching Topping DX3Pro+ preamp with speakers and power amplifier

Patricia P

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought Topping DX3Pro+ and realised that it has 4 digital inputs.
If I can identify a suitable power amp for the speakers, it would really simplify the equipment on the rack.

I am looking at a second hand class AB power amplifier with unknown wpc but it is a good make, Talk Electronic Tornado first generation. It is capable of handling Acoustic Energy floostanders.

Sources
TV LG LCD with optical, Panasonic 4k player coax, squeezebox touch coax.

My speakers are Acoustic Research ars50 floor standers.
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohm
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 Watt
Sensitivity 91 dB
Crossover Frequency
300Hz, 3700Hz

The Topping preamp is limited to SE so 2 Vrms. Would it cause problems for the TE and my speakers?

Your speakers are reasonably sensitive and nominally 8 ohms (but suspect they will drop to 4ohm minimum) and so any amp over around 50w into 8 ohms at 1%THD will dive them to very loud volumes.

The obvious choice is the Topping PA3 which is the matching power amp.

However the new Topping PA5 is getting very good reviews and probably worth the extra, there is a recent thread on here where the reviewer compared it very favourably it to his valve monoblocks.

Amazon product ASIN B09MFMJKTG

Topping PA5 are balanced only, while dx3pro+ is SE; great value for the money. There is a discussion on asr about the cable adapter needed.

I will look for the comparison with mono blocks.

Basically I don't need to worry about the low voltage of the dx3pro+

2V is the standard line level output for modern electronics and if using in a preamp mode it will be that at max volume. If anything most power amps may only need 0.5-1.0V as an input so you may only need the first half of the volume scale to go really loud. Check the input sensitivity for you desired power amp and double check it is above say 0.5V, some older ones are less, the closer it is to 2V the better.

The Behringer doesn't appeal to me, all the downside of AB without the charm of a toroidal power supply 😀.
Topping PA series amplifiers would match visually as well as having measured lower noise and use less electricity.

The PA3s is cheap and has SE input matching the DX3pro+
I don't listen to music loud very often so it could cope with sensitive speakers.

The A800 is class D. Not pretty though, I'll concede that. :)

Surely there must be a simple way to connect the PA5?

Just use something like this no??

Amazon product ASIN B001UJCS82

Last edited:
Topping do their own TRS cable, but AFAIK it's balanced only. It's their own standard while SMSL uses XLR

Wonder if this is what is needed to connect dx3pro+ to PA5?

J&D Dual 1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Audio Interconnect Cable, Gold Plated Copper Shell Heavy Duty 2X 6.35mm 1/4 inch Male TS to 2 RCA Male Adapter Cable, 3 Feet Amazon product ASIN B07G4Y4NYP

Last edited:
Okay TRS is just 6.35mm?

So even easier - just use a standard RCA cable and a set of these (I have some and they are great)

Amazon product ASIN B07ZXRTZPJ

PA5 on AliExpress (Shenzhenaudio) $339 freepost to UK. I am very tempted.

What use is the second TRS input on the PA5? I thought of a balance dac but there's no volume adjustment.

It has a selector switch on the front so you can choose the input. Just gives you two sources I guess, perhaps they know a lot of people will be using it for fun and testing multiple DACs, etc. Makes life easier for the reviewers as they will now likely be using it as a reference amp. :)

Agree, providing each DAC has a preamp function, or is connected to streaming PC.

I'd love to connect line in to a CD player, 2v SE but it doesn't have a volume pot.

Makes life easier for the reviewers as they will now likely be using it as a reference amp. :)
Crazy that the noise floor is so good that it's a reference product at that price.

Now amps will have to up their game, compete on objective measurements

Your speakers are reasonably sensitive and nominally 8 ohms (but suspect they will drop to 4ohm minimum) and so any amp over around 50w into 8 ohms at 1%THD will dive them to very loud volumes.

The obvious choice is the Topping PA3 which is the matching power amp.

However the new Topping PA5 is getting very good reviews and probably worth the extra, there is a recent thread on here where the reviewer compared it very favourably it to his valve monoblocks.

Amazon product ASIN B09MFMJKTG
The valve amps are up for sale. Money where my mouth is, etc, etc.

Russ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom