1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matching Subwoofer to Kef Q7 Range

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bizarrefish, Jan 3, 2005.

1. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, after reading a few reviews and articles it is said that the PSW2500 subwoofer in the package should be upgraded if possible to the PSW4000 is it compliments the setup better.

Can anyone confirm this and / or recommend an alternative to the PSW4000? I know its important to match all speakers up but is the subwoofer included in this equation considering its low frequency?

Would I be better off buying a REL instead of the Kef sub that the package comes with?

Cheers

Richard

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is important that all speakers in a system have similar voicing but that doesn't apply to subwoofers so you are free to buy whichever sub you wish.

3. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    SevenOaks(Reading) have an ex-dem PSW4000 for £799, if you want to keep it the same.

Dan :)

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think the PSW2500 would be quite a letdown for those speakers. It's a good sub but there are better around. How much would you be planning to spend?

Obvious options are the
    BK XLS200 (£280 and excellent value, check the Sub Test sticky for a comparison with the Kef PSW2500)

Any of the SVS range (Excellent value but might be prohibitively large).

Any of the current Velodyne range

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    It puzzles me why KEF insist on using the PSW2500 for the Q7 range, the sub is good, but it is not good enough for that speaker package in my opinion.

I used to own a KEF PSW2500, and enjoyed its company.

To compliment the Q7's though, you are going to need a higher calibre subwoofer. The KEF PSW4000 is a good option, it has had some glowing reviews. At £800 though, you have some VERY good subwoofers.

If you don't mind large boxes or cylinders, the SVS range would be worth a gander, a PB12 Ultra would fit the bill nicely or a PB12 Plus. If you do not want to go through the hassle of importing, there are some more options closer to home. Two subs that have caught my eye recently are the MJ Acoustics Reference 200 (rrp £650 10" cone) and the Quad L Subwoofer (£700 rrp 12" cone). These would suit the musical nature of the Q7's more than some of the subs mentioned above.

The Quad L Subwoofer would be the better buy imo, it goes a bit lower and is a tad more musical than the Ref 200, and the finish is very very nice, very WAF :) :D

Depends on whether you are willing to import an SVS, or stay with something from a local dealer.

6. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bizarrefish,

I have just upgraded all my speakers. After much deliberation I went for Q7's on the front mains, Q compacts for the rears and a Q9c for the centre.

Sub wise I did look at the KEF range but thought that, for the money, there were other players out there who could give you better better bang for your buck. In the end I went for the MJ Acoustic Reference 200.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how it all sounds together at the mo', as I'm in the middle of setting it all up.

Regards,

Jubbly

7. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, would be interested to know you're opinions MrJubbly when you do get it setup. I'm either an impulsive buyer or one that takes months over making a decision. In this case its going to be months due to the money being spent. I have pretty much decided on the Q7 match up but with Q2DS rears and its the sub I'm thinking about. I don't think I'll get the PSW2500 now and as sub's don't have to match as they're not tonal I will look into them a bit more.

Thanks also Kazman, it was my thought as well that the PSW2500 wouldnt be quite good enough but also the 4000 is a lot of money considering what else is in the market. I could pay £800 but I was thinking that a 4-500 sub would provide enough of an improvement on the 2500 to keep in line with the Q7 package. Currently I suppose the only remit is that the sub either fits underneath a coffee table like it currently does, is big enough to be a small table (obviously not being used as a table whilst in use) or a cylinder small enough to tuck away somewhere.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    At the £500 price point there are three really good solutions...Velodyne CHT 12R (£470), Mordaunt Short MS909 (£500) and the B&W ASW675, the only thing is, I'm not sure how they will integrate with the Q7's. Each of those subs have a very distinctive character, and I'm not 100% sure that they would fit the Q7's, I could be wrong of course.

I believe the best solution would be to spend that tiny bit more and go for the MJ Ref 200 or the Quad L Sub, it would stop you feeling the need to upgrade too heh heh :D Your size requirements are going to be difficult to fulfill though. The only other option would be something like the BK XLS200 mentioned by John above. But, this isn't too far above the KEF PSW2500 in terms of performance.

The Quad L Sub and MJ Ref 200 would both fit in as part of the furniture too, not sure about using the Quad L Sub as a table though, you would risk damaging that 7 layer lacquered finish :eek: :D Both these subs should be easy to hide, and they are both of a similar size, with the Quad being a tad taller I believe.

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the PSW2500 to go with the Q7's and Q1's

Mainly because i loved the look of it and it looks amazing and along side the speakers it really is a awesome looking package

I knew i could prob get better for £350 and did not wanna spend more but no sub i looked at looked even remotely as nice as the PSW2500

I have to say going from a Kef PSW1000 (from my old setup) the difference is huge so i am satisfied with that :)

But..

I have to say though i was and still are considering adding a 2nd sub and putting it out of sight

I love the PSW2500 as i can put it on show and it has that WOW factor but would adding a 2nd sub be a good idea? if the 2nd sub was a better sub would they be ok together?

And how do you go about adding a 2nd SUB

**** i have kinda hyjacked your thread bizarrefish hope u dont mind if so i will make a new thread

10. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not at all m8, it is something to think about.

From what I have read on REL's website you could either buy a big monster sub or use two in tandem at lower volumes to get the same effect. The way they described the use of two subs is that in almost all scenarios it does improve the sound and spacial awareness, especially if the subs are matched and placed at either side near the main speakers.

*goes looking for link*

http://www.rel.net/faq.htm#9

Cheers

Richard

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about buying the lower end SVS sub PB10 is it?

Sticking it out the way in between 2 chairs

Would they work together or is there just no point and would be better just using SVS on its own maybe the PB12