Matching Speakers for Onkyo TX NR609?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by multibreed, Jan 2, 2012.

1. multibreed

multibreed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all and a happy new year!

I recently became the proud owner of the above receiver and whilst very happy I am sure I can better the entire system by changing the speaker set up.

I currently use (all Mission) 702e for the fronts, 70c1 for the centre, bookshelf 70 for the surrounds and a paradigm PDR10 as sub.

I am quite happy with the set up, the 702e are bi amped just to get the most out of them. But being a HIFI buff, my main passion, I am sure the speakers can be bettered.

So I have already the following, Rogers LS4/as on target R2 stands, two pairs which I would use as fronts and surround. However as these are vintage 80's speakers and the only centre I would be able to get would be the Rogers LS/2a, it's baby sister, obviously never intentionally made as a centre! I will say that on just 2.0 the Rogers are hands down better than the Missions!!!! As are the LS2/a!!!

So my questions to you all are:

1. Keep the missions and sub?

2. Proceed with the Rogers and buy a LS/2a for the centre and continue using the Paradigm as the sub?

3. Mix and match all the speakers I currently have?

4. Is it worth looking at the only THX Select 2 Teufel 5.1 speaker package? See link: http://www.trustedreviews.com/Teufe...-Cinema-Speakers_Surround-Sound-System_review

5. And whilst also considering the above speaker choices, should I also be considering whether to go 7.1 and if going 7.1, what would be the best configuration, rears, wide fronts, high rears etc etc?

6. And one last one is it worth going .2 with subs and if so, keep the PDR10 and add another PDR10 or change them both?

I am really keen on pushing the receiver to its maximum potential.

Sorry for so many questions.

I have a 5m x 5m room in which the system is set up, so feel I have space to fill.

This is what the front section looks like:

image-2319452112.jpg

Many thanks to all in advance.

Regards

Cliff

2. multibreed

multibreed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice?

3. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I probably would not bother with 7.1 unless you really want it at least for now. Not many soundtracks actually use the back two discrete channels as of yet. If you really want it I suspect front prescence channels might be of more use.

You could run without a centre channel and redirect it's audio to your stereo L&R speakers.

You can always try a LS2A later on. I'm not sure I'd bother with two subs maybe just get a better quality one to replace the Paradigm. Have a look at BK Electronics. Either a Monolith or XLS400. Both will increase the power available by 4x and give a larger cone diameter, thus pushing more air. After that there are subs from SVS or Velodyne if you can find ex demo or reduced ones.

4. multibreed

multibreed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks buddy. Appreciate your help. I use what I know in HIFI, with A/V but obviously not all speakers do the same job.