1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matching speakers for B&W Nautilus 804 fronts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mattross, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know I could go the whole hog and get a HTM2 or HTM1, an ASW800 or ASW850 and Nautilus 805 for side and rear duties, but at new prices that's about £6K before I've even thought about an amp. I don't want to cut corners on the centre, so a HTM2 is probably on the cards.

So my question is can anyone recommend side/rear speakers I should consider instead of the Nautilus 805s? I also suspect an ASW800 would be overkill for my 3Mx4.5M room but I should ask that question in the Sub section.

Thanks.

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mattross,

When you get the sub home for a home demo I would suggest you get the dealer to loan you a pair of 6 and 7 series speakers for the rears. I suspect a pair of 602's would do very well for rears compared to 805s..

The HTM centre is a different matter though !

For movies it's hard to beat an HTM1. I've never heard an HTM2 so can't comment but it's the centre designed for the 804s.

Gary

3. nickhor

nickhor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have B&W804s .html2 for centre for the sides i use M&K k4 tripoles and backs small M&K cant remeber letter butr about £ 600 a pair ...sub is M&K 350thx.....system sounds superb the front matching is seemless and the much cheaper M&Ks sound great with the sub....
    I have 805s which i have used in the system but now use them in a seperate stereo room as they take up too much room inthe HT room ,the m&ks dont lose out much in sound quality but are out of the way ....my advice would be to get B&W centre ,as there not many 2nd hand you will probably have to buy new ...but you can pick up the M&Ks satellites 2nd hand ...
    never auditioned the big centre speaker but looks huge, the '2' is great..
    nick :thumbsup:

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use an HTM2 and have found it a perfect match for the 804s. The HTM1 is just too big and I actually find the HTM2's "lighter touch" is better for dialogue. The 850 sub is wonderful and I eulogise about it elsewhere on the forum. I was going to go for 805 rears until I heard the SCM1s with films. Less bottom end than the 805s but much much better diffusion of sound, not unlike a dipole/bipole. Also, much more roof friendly and come with excellent quality mounting brackets. A proper "nautilus series" surround.

5. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    scm1's are surprisingly good.

they are big though !!!

and yes the HTM1 is huge. forget about putting on top of a TV

6. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think I agree about the HTM2, and that's top of my list for a centre channel. I'm glad to see that the 805s and SCM1s aren't the only suitable choice. While it would be nice to have 4 SCM1s that would be incredibly expensive.

Whichever speakers I get for the side are gonna be a major pain anyway, I have a window on one side. I will probably need to have special speaker brackets made so they can stick out far enough and low enough to fit on the wall.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Having owned both a HTM2 and a HTM1 in my opinion the HTM1 offers a huge step up in performance and is worth the extra money. Its simply one of the best center channel speakers out there at the moment.

The HTM1 has identical drive units to the 804's (one FST and two 6.5 inch mid bass) and together with them offers an extremely consistent and expansive front soundstage.

I used to run a HTM2 / 805's set up before I changed to the HTM1 and 804's - using the HTM2 with 804's would be a mistake unless there are other issues such as restricted space. It wasnt designed for them.

8. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oops, I already bought a HTM2. I'm sure it will be fine with my 804s. I take it U never tried the HTM2 with your 804s? Bear in mind this will be my first cinema setup, I'm predominantly a 2-channel Hi-Fi man.

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Its not the end of the world - the HTM2 is still a damn fine centre and at least its part of the same range. At this point dont worry about it and enjoy !

I didnt hear my 804's with the HTM2 (I had already sold my old speakers before the new ones arrived).

10. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dont you worry about it, Matross. The HTM2 is a great centre and works brilliantly with 804s. Ive just bought my second pair of SCM1s for side-duties and got them ex-dem for a healthy 25% discount, so look around. The launch of the new range on Jan 15th is likely to require lots of dealers to complete refresh their demo stock.
    That's not to say that some of the other options that have been suggested wouldnt be great too.....but you just know that you really want all nautilus series speakers and if you don`t get em now, you wont be happy until you have