1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matching receiver for Quad L series

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jazzman, Nov 21, 2004.

1. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello People i have been looking around for some time to set up a home theather system in my house for music and DVD 60% music 40% dvd i have the means of getting a good deal on the quad 12 L's and 11 L's with the L center.
    The sub will be either be quad L or Rel 200 E whereas i might need some help on choosing that as well but mostly i have a hard time choosing a receiver i need some serious help on that. :lease:

I will probably be using the Cambridge Audio 640 C as a cd player since even an entry level cd player performance is better then a midrange dvd player on cd playback. "so they say"
    Back to main subject what would you think wil match up great with Quad L speakers Marantz 5400 ose ? Marantz 7400? nad 762 ?denon 2805 ? somebody spoke about a brand called "Vincent" Vincent sv 388 "as a receiver" they say its extremely musical whereas it has the power to run any speakers has anybody heard of it i saw it but didnt test it yet its a huge piece off equipment around 25 kilograms. all of the above are around 1000 usd except the vincent which is around 1350 usd and if i were to want i could get the arcam 300 around 1600 usd cant find the avr 250 yet in where i am :

I am leaving rotel 1056 the arcams 250 and 300 and the nad 773 out of the list since they are out of my budget but any other suggestions and comments for the above mentionned receivers will be highly appreciated.

thanks in advance

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jazzman,
    Welcome to the Forum :)
    1st Off excellent choice of speakers they really are that good :smashin:
    I know Kazman a member on this forum has just invested in Quads and i am sure he uses the Marantz 7400 and he is very pleased with the results Marantz Amps are known to be very musical and also good with home Cinema aswell.
    Ref to the Sub i have heard the Quad Sub and it is superb for the money and would intergrate well with the other Quads.

John

3. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks a lot for the reply recruit so you consider quad L sub as a better sub then the rel 200 E it is for sure a little more expensive but if it is better i prefer to have one brand in my living room this way i am sure that there is no missmatching.

I was concerned about that becouse the local delaer not the quad dealer mentionned that i should either get REL or Velodynes as a sub he never used or saw the quad L sub and he presumed that it might be crap "quoting his words"

I really dont know about harman kardon the avr 630 sombody mentionned it to me it sure looks beautiful but how is it is it a match for marantz 7400 or isi it better i might get that around 1150 usd

4. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 12L mains and L Centre (rears wharfdale) Sub is HSU VTF2

Original receiver was Denon 1602. Quads still sounded good on this.

Seeking an upgrade i home demoed 3805, Arcam AVR300 and was not overly impressed with what i was "gaining" over the 1602 (sound wise, need no more features or video swtiching, ie HTPC). especially for the $'s

Reading AVS, Audio Circle amoungst other stumbled opon mention of Panasonic full digital amps.

Anyways, took the plunge, got a "Run out" self model panasonic XR45 for $440 AUD
    (3805 was $2500, ARcam $3600AUD (can get for $3000 AUD).

$'s not being a consideration the panny has superior sound. Speed, attack, dyanmics, detail, clarity, noise floor is better than the others.

Also demoed a HK digital DPR2005, LOADS of grunt, and great dynamics, but not as transparent or detailed as the panny, and errrm over 5x the price :) hehe

Depends what other "features" you need, if sound is ur main choice, certainly consider this "cheap" option. Also the XR70 is proably due out soon where u are, can do DVD-A over HDMI!!

Oh the added "bonus" with said digital amps is there is NO DAC. Ie think of the "amp stage" as a DAC that is powerful enuf to drive the speakers. Hence feeding it a pure digital signal gives best sound, and saves $$$$ spending up big on high end CDP etc.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jazzman,

Ref to the Quad Sub it has won a few awards in the Uk already and has had rave reviews, and after hearing it i can confirm that is not crap.
    The HK AVR630 is a very good amp and think that it would fair well against the Marantz but like all Kit if i was you get some demos if possible just to be sure!

John

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

As Recruit stated earlier, I'm currently using the SR7400 with my Quads, and the result is superb. The sound is slightly warmer than neutral, but that is just how I like it. The Quads are great speakers for the money, and SR7400 has the grunt and finesse to feed them quality stereo signals as well as home cinema signals.

The only downside with the SR7400 at the moment though is the fact it is going to replaced very soon with the SR7500. The SR7400 is being discounted quite heavily now, and can be had for a VERY good price. I'm not sure the SR7500 will be discounted as heavily.

If you can wait and spend a bit more, than the SR7500 'should' be a great match, if you can't wait and budget is an issue, the SR7400 would be ideal. Go and have a listen if you can, you won't be dissappointed.

7. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks to all
    just wanted to let you know that i ordered my 12 L and 11L with the L center i will probably get them by the end of next month at the latest since they have to be shipped from UK. I got the ebony limited finishes on the 11L and the 12 L's paid a little more then the usual price but i think its worth the difference since there are only going to be 250 pairs of each and they wont be repeated.
    I got the rosewood L center so that it fairly matches and porbably get the L sub in rosewood finish as well i am really liking what i have been hearing about the marantz 7400 from recruit and kazzman thanks guys but what should i compare it side to side with " in the same range " to see what my preference will be ?

and by the way anybody heard about the brand "vincent" it seems that it is a german brand made in china like most of the european brands. :rolleyes:

all the best to all

8. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try a panny if u can (though they really do need to be run in a good 50-100hrs). I am SOOOO glad i didn't get AVR300 or 3805 in comparison.

9. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks a lot spoonfed i will demo it if i have the chance to find a dealer here

10. _Cal_

_Cal_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While searching for opinions on a Marantz 7400 + Quad 12L solution, I came across this post.

If you don't mind, I'd like to provide a little more insight to the digital amplifier matter.

The so called "digital amps" are actually 1-bit DACs that drive a PWM modulated signal to the speakers through a strong inverter (an inverter is a digital cell), at a very high frequency. The signal basically carries the audio band information plus a lot of high-frequency quantization noise, which is eventually filtered by an analog filter or the human ear (in more agressive designs).

The output stage (inverter) operates in class-D (each transistor is either on or off), which can increase a lot the power efficiency, which means that you burn much less power, for the same power delivered to the load.

This is a critical aspect in portable audio equipment, where power is a scarce resource, but in powered applications the only obvious benefit may be the reduced heat generation, which allows a higher degree of integration (higher power amps in smaller form factors).

Another well known downside is Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI). Since the power amp actually delivers a high frequency bit stream (instead of a low frequency continuous waveform), some energy is radiated from the amp, and unless the manufacturer takes appropriate measures, you can turn a power amp in a source of radiation and interference.

In terms of pure audio quality, class-D amps (aka "digital amps") have a limited distortion performance (when compared to class-A and class-AB), but may actually result in a better solution (whatever that means), when heat dissipation or power efficiency come into play.

In the end, the word "digital" sells by itself, so soon enough every mainstream brand will have it's own version of the "digital amp".

Have fun.

11. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much of what you said is correct, but in the case of the Pannys as one example there is no 1 Bit DAC. The chip directly "converts" if u will the Digital PCM signal to PWM. So they are about as close to digital as can get.

12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I heard the Quad 11L with a Denon 3805 and they sound very good. I think they will sound even better with a Marantz 7500...!

13. _Cal_

_Cal_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoonfed,

If you have digital/analog interface, then you have a DAC! :)

The PWM modulated signal is still in the digital domain. After the output stage you are now in the analog domain, so the output stage is actually the DAC, although an unconvential one.

For me they are still class-D drivers. Digital amplifiers is a marketing induced language abuse.

It'd be interesting to know what the hard core audio purists say about the quality of the sound.

Rgds

14. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The best home AV system I have ever listened is powered by a Class-D Belcanto amp...