Matching rears and centre for 753Fs

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm just getting into surround after decades of stereo.

So I need matching rears and a centre speaker for my existing 753Fs.

I'd really like to hear from people who have actually used 753Fs as main speakers rather than general advice.

I probably need something of similar quality and tonal balance but smaller. My Kans aren't remotely alike and the "surround sound" is rather disappointing using those.

I've just seen an ad locally for a pair of 750LEs. Good choice for me size-wise but what about suitability as rears? Colour doesn't matter though I usually go for black.

M75C for centre? Assuming I can still lay my hands on one.

Any other suggestions gratefully received. :)

Thanks

Nimby

hi nimby, i cant answer your question directly (other than why not pick up 2nd hand Mission 75C and 751Fs?)

i do however have a pair of mission 754 freedoms, and used to own 752Fs for a couple of years too. while i think these *can* be wonderful hifi speakers (with a certain type of recording and a favourable room...as I found out!), for surround sound, they don't really cut the mustard. in my opinion, you need something not too revealing, with plenty of bass in both amount and depth (read: probably uneven and distorted unless you have massive boxes).

As you know, these aren't exactly qualities the Missions possess. At -3dB, I think youre 753s only specify to 60Hz or so (and a lot less in practice)...paltry considering the cabinet size and number of drivers. I think you may find surround sound based on these would be an expensive and unrewarding experience. A sub would be an absolute must, and using the dedicated subwoofer channel is the only advantage i can give surround sound. I'd either start from scratch, or just be happy with stereo, but then I've never been a surround sound fan....I had Mission 752F/Mission 75C/Mission 731 rears and listening in stereo was ten times better, surround sound was bordering on the unlistenable.

If it were me, I'd stay with stereo and maybe add a subwoofer (B&W or Kef) to make films more interesting.

Hi superpixel and thanks for the ideas.

My 753Fs are actually -3dB at 38Hz at the listening position in my 30 feet long, open-plan room. My SVS 16-46 PCI adds what is missing from the already full bass from the Missions. :)

There must be several different species of 753Fs out there, since somebody else said his died at 50Hz. In fact my 753Fs are exactly what you suggest I should obtain. Warm and powerful. :devil:

I'm using a DSP-E800 so I can use my Naim amps for the mains. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with surround either. The E-800 will only power the rears and centre. If and when I can lay my hands on something suitable.

I find the "small" setting a bit tinkly and "hifi" so I've set everything to "large" and revel in bags of bass. I'm using high and low level sub connections simultaneously. The SVS seems shy on low level from the E800 and needs 3/4 volume to start singing. With high level connections as well, I'm hearing better bass than high level alone only without needing to set the sub too 'hot'. (Must be the LFE) :cool:

Even with the Kans as temporary rears, "surround" sound quality is better than stereo (using the E800) on Metallica's double DVD. Though not as good as the Naims alone on stereo. I'm using my NAD T533 DVD player as the processor so I'm not losing anything except what the E800 does to a straight through signal on 6.1.

I demoed the 752Fs and thought it very nice if slightly polite at the bottom end. I almost bought a pair until the 753Fs came up ex-demo at the local dealers at exactly the right moment. :)

Can I ask if the 75C is properly shielded and would you recommend the 751 over the 750LE?

Regards
Nimby

superpixel said:
in my opinion, you need something not too revealing

For movies? I'd say the complete opposite

Nimby

in that case....surely the mission 75C (yes, it is fully shielded) and 751s would be the natural and obvious match? its what mission marketed as their surround sound package back in the day. glad youre enjoying your system, it sounds superb: i think youre room and setup must be boosting those 753s a lot! i think the only advantage of the 750LEs would be space, but they arent identical in looks to the other 75s, they were designed at a later date, and probably aren't up to the quality of the 751s, though im just guessing.

Smurfin'

i didnt mean you should listen to films through a boombox, just that revealing is good, and too revealing (by definition) isn't so good. A lot of CDs are unlistenable through my 'second' stereo system in my living room (Audiolab 8000C/2xPs, Mission 754 Freedoms), let alone DVDs. I can clearly hear background hiss (altering in different scenes and different special effects), sibilance on dialogue, and all other sorts of unwanted nasties. I am absolutely not a recording/bitrate snob, but an awful lot of real-life DVDs aren't up to scratch in quality. The same applies to CDs too, and a flattering sound is almost always more enjoyable - I don't buy into ruler-flat accuracy for hi-fi. This depends a lot on your system (the 'audiophile' sort as mine claims to be, is often lean and enhanced in the treble, making things less realistic and worse....), the volume you listen at makes a difference, as must your DVD collection! I don't have that many recent blockbusters....but the new Star Wars and Monsters Inc do sound almost faultless and I bet you'd need tens of thousands pounds worth of gear to show up intrusive problems....however, most of my DVDs don't sound brilliant...

that's all i meant. i didnt mean to rubbish surround sound that strongly - i didnt realise Nimby already had such excellent gear (and funds!), adding 3 speakers is gonna cost peanuts in comparison...so the expensive/not worth it comment clearly doesn't apply.

superpixel

Thanks for your interesting posts. I'll start searching the sales ads.

I'm sorry to hear your system doesn't satisfy. I'd suggest you look at your source for those nasties. The 754s sounded rather tasty on demo. Though rather more than I wanted to spend at the time. As did the 752s. :)

Regards
Nimby

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom