1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

matching plasma gas fire - the ultimate accessory?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by samjet, Apr 4, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i jest not :D

the PLASMA gas fire is sold by B&Q and does bear quite resemblance to a plasma screen (and to avoid starting a war i'm not going to suggest which one!!)

its not a bad design and has just been reduced in price to £399 - the big advantage is that it does not require a flue and as such can be placed pretty much anywhere on the wall like its namesake

anyway this am my old gas fire comes out ready for the new one on wednesday :smashin:

in seriousness i did need a new fire since each year the existing encumbant has more problems passing its mot (carbon monoxide level test by gas board)

if i can get a digi camera will post photos after installation

if you want to have a look it can be found on the B&Q site under gas fires!!

2. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is it one of those that interferes with IR remotes?

3. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    don't see why it should :confused:

some new fires have a remote but this does not

4. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mainly a problem with older 'plasma' fires, I gather new ones have different glass which reduces the problem (which is a little like that seen with some energy saving bulbs).

Pulled out my fireplace to make room for a plasma, quite tempted to purchase such a fire too.

5. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for that robbie

you learn something every day :D

i will ask at B&Q since it could be a problem if you mount a screen above said fire - in my case its on another wall

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    IMPORTANT UPDATE

after a bit of work i have traced who supplies these fires to B&Q - Focal POint Fires PLC

been to their site and checked the full spec (you have to go into the installation manual)- its states that under no circumstances should any electrical appliances SUCH AS PLASMA SCREENS be placed above the fire

i doubt if B&Q are aware of this although they will be later this am :D

7. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I recently looked in depth at gas fires and ended up with an electric (from creative fires, more expensive than a lot but with a quiet flame effect). The reasons for going against gas were:

1. I'd need to use LPG no mains gas so more expensive.
    2. Efficiency is pants, 50% is good so full rate electric is actually cheaper!
    3. Electric flame effect doesn't give out heat so you can have it on all year round.
    4. Cheaper install and running costs (LPG cost > £1/night just for flames!)

BTW the efficiency figure is for fires with a flue but even flueless fire need a such a large vent that I can't see them being anymore efficient in practice. For any real fire that is not balanced flue you have to draw air out of the room that you need to reheat and the ones where the combustion products stay in the room need a good air flow through so you don't kill yourself with CO.

8. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    malc

thanks for your observations

have done a bit more research this am

running costs for this fire at 2.6Kw(high output) is 3.27p/hour - it needs no vent only 100cm2 of ventilation in the room (ie an air brick in wall that i already have and checked)

apparently they have a catalytic convertor - hence no vent or fumes etc

9. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Everybody,

I have bought this exact fire to go below my plasma in my new house all I need now is the builders to finish the house now. I will post pics of the finished when done. Attached is a picture of the fire.

Cheers,
    TCP/IP

Attached Files:

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    looks fantastic...nice pad too!!..Docklands?

11. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It does look fantastic, I wish this was my pad but I just took the pic off the B&Q website but hopefully my new pad will look just as good

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    aaah that's cheating *lol*

13. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sorry but if you read my earlier post and i quote from the manufacturers technical literature (Focal point) NOT B&Q

...UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT EG PLASMA SETS ETC BE POSTIONED ON THE WALL ABOVE THE APPLIANCE....

so sorry your plans are going to have to be re thought :(

i have at the moment got my old fire off the wall and am making a new support bracket

14. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have been on to Pioneer and they say should not be a problem, loads of people on this board have plasma screens over fires without any problem

15. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sorry mate you are missing the point :confused:

its nothing to do with pioneer its from the fire manufacturer to whom i have spoken this am

pioneer may make good tv's but not fires - this is not your 'normal' type of fire hence why it uses a catylitic convertor and no vent/flue

the 2.6 Kw comes directly from the top of the fire!! - there is also moisture involved!! it even goes on to state ...it should be established that any mirrors or picture frames etc to be postioned on the wall above the appliance are able to withstand PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO MODERATE HEAT AND MOISTURE before proceeding with their installation....

if you go to focal points web site and look up the technical installation instructions you will see what i mean - all the heat comes out of the top!!

feel free to do as you please (madness imo) but i'm not just joe blogs diy i was an architect before i 'retired' :cool:

tell you what just forward this info to pioneer and see what they say :D

as for other forum members having plasma's over fires - yes in certain situations but its never ideal to increase the temperature to the screen - why did i waste money removing a radiator behind my screen??

if any forum members have this fire with a plasma over both myself and focal point would like to hear your experiences!

16. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yes I agree that it would be good to hear peoples experience, I aleady was speaking to Focal point a couple of month ago and one of there enginners stated that they put this warning into to cover themselves but it really will not be a problem. I am buying this fire more for looks and not for heating a room so in my case it will be on very little.

17. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks

i am now going to copy this thread to focal point and ask for their observations - should be interesting

18. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I am be sure that when you send it to Focal point they will completely deny it like any company in there position would so not really worth the bother but sure give it a shot anyway

19. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    right we now have something of a conflicting 'story'

i have just spoken to focal point on this matter and their Mr Andrew Downes has agreed that i can quote the following on their behalf

a) nobody from their company would ever say such a thing

b) in terms of water vapour the fire outputs 110ml/Kw/hour

c) temperature measured with a probe at the top of the fire is 300/400C

in light of the above i leave you to make your own conclusions as to the suitability of placing a plasma above said fire

ps free fire arrives wednesday :rotfl: :rotfl:

20. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    in conclusion i have posted the earlier information since in some respects i felt responsible since i highlighted this fire with my initial post - which was intended to be somewhat light hearted :D

i now feel that i have discharged my responsibilty by making people aware of the manufacturers postion with regards to plasma placement

in my last post i put forward information received directly from the manufacurer - believe it or not its up to you

however if your plasma fails i imagine that there are tests the manufacturer can do - if its found to have been subjected to excessive heat/moisture there may be little or no come back under warranty - no doubt MAW and his fellow professionals may have something to say on this matter :D

i'm not worried since mine is on another wall - thank god :cool:

21. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    As i said no company will admit something said off the cuff when asked for a quote that is very plain and simple, I guess when mine and others fires are installed we can do some tests before placing a screen near the fire.

Enjoy the fire

22. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    tests?? moisture meter - temp probe??

i know you have your heart set on this but why do you continue to ignore the facts - are you not worried about your plasma??

and what others..........?

PS i have spoken to pioneer uk a couple on minutes ago and told them the quoted figures (output) and under NO Circumstances should a screen be placed anywhere near the fire :( they reckon failure on the screen would be rather quick!!!!!!!!)

as regards 'normal' open fires etc although placement above is not advised it is a totally different matter in that the heat is distributed in a totally different manner (ie from the front not directly above)

23. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It will be easy to test the moisture and temps once the fire is in and other people on this thread have already bought the fire and are intalling it. If the plasma blows up thats what u have insurance for i suppose. If the worst comes to the worst and it is not an option then so be it, but as they say you dont gets if you dont try

24. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sorry but who else on the forum has this fire??

i cannot for the life of me understand why you are burying your head in the sand!!

as for insurance to cover such eventualities - they can test screens thro dealers as well - its also immoral to try this route when you have been warned of the problems - pioneer are also now on the look out for heat/moisture failures :(

i normally try and help people but your single minded intransegence leaves me short of words - you choose to ignore all professsional advice and assistance and go your own merry way

frankly you remind me of another person who recently felt they could put the world to rights - i leave it up to your superior knowledge - you set yourself above other proffesionals to conduct YOUR OWN tests

but please refer me to fellow forum users who have this fire since you seem to make a lot of this fact/fiction :rolleyes:

i have just one hope - if you get a fire as a direct result of your actions no innocent party suffers - you will only have yourself to blame (but i cannot see you accepting this :mad: )

25. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    RobbieTT is considering buying such a fire and considering he will have his installed before mine I will value his input. Now I am not burying my head in the sand I am simply stating that just because people do not advise something it does not mean that it will not work you should know this considering the business you were in before you retired.

As for your moral delimena about insurance well that is your opinion and I have mine as they clearly dont match there is not much point in argueing. And yes I am a very smart person and would value my opinion on something.

In every plasma installation guide they advide not to install Plasma screens above fires so does that mean that every one that has been has blown up.

I am more than willing to listen to other points of view but I will keep an open mind not a closed one like you are showing here

26. JeffLaws1

JeffLaws1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn the moisture, Damn the heat, whats the PQ like and can I just plug my DVD straight into it????

27. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

I thought I'd revive this thread as I too am considering buying a Flueless fireplace.

And yes, I am considering placing a Plasma TV above it.

But reading through this thread, I can't tell if this is the way to go or if I should ditch the fireplace.

Could anyone advise ? :lease:

That aside, would any know if it's possible to get hold of remote control fluless fireplaces ?

It would be nice to integrate such a fireplace with an IR blaster to be in sync with Lighting and Curtain settings.

Thanks

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Remote fires are pain in the ASS, for safety the button presse are combinational and while it would look cool to walk in and have the firelight from one remote or centralised system the risk is someone accidentally puts it on..... Also i reconmend you dig out the specs for the fire and not have TV and fire on at the same time if you do mount aboue the fire...

29. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the potential problems i highlighted apply to this one particular plasma gas fire - others may well be ok

i have now fitted said fire and there is no way on earth a plasma could be mounted above it (with the fire on) - it gives out a hell of a lot of heat from the top - so high in fact i could not find a thermometer to cope with the readings - industrial temperature probe or maybe an oven thermometer is needed :D

looks great though :thumbsup:

30. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Could some type of heat shielded shelf be placed inbetween to counter plasma meltdown ?

Would you say this is indicative of flueless fireplaces in general or is it just this particular model ?

Thanks